Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gonz_Wai

Gonz_Wai

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 04 November 2004 - 12:04 AM

Hows it goin, I have this annoying problem that i cannot figure out I definitaly need some help. Heres a little about my computer, its built by me it running windows xp proffesional...the problem im having is when I lets say open AOL instant messanger, and then i decide to check my email and open up my mullberry account which needs to connect and then lets say open a website up to browse, one or all of the connections will be lost..its really annoying im having trouble playing games i have on the internet, even searching the the internet takes for ever with a t3!! and all sorts of stuff. I thought of a few things is it my college campus not letting me use enough bandwidth....no....is it sp2...uninstalled it so no....is it my cable from the hub.....no....is it windows installed properly.....no totally reformated it...any help with this problem would be AWESOME....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2004 - 01:34 PM

1. How much RAM to you have installed?
2. Have you run bandwidth tests that produce satisfactory results?
3. Have you reviewed the number of applications launched on startup?
4. What kind of connectivity hardware/software is installed?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Gonz_Wai

Gonz_Wai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2004 - 03:05 PM

i have 1 gig of corsair ram installed, and i dont know how to run those bandwidth tests so if you could tell me that would be awesome, also what do you mean by renewing the applications launched at startup, and im not sure what connectivity hardware/software is installed how do i check...thanks matt

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2004 - 06:31 PM

Here is a link to a reputable bandwidth tester:

http://www.dslreports.com/stest

Read the steps and run the test; I would suggest doing it several times over a 24 hour period, and from different server locations, to get an average speed. This will tell you what your upload and download speeds actually are. I would do this before the other things I suggested.

By reviewing what applications/programs that lauch on start-up and eliminating those you really do not need, you increase available processor usage. This might help reduce, depending on what you find, problems when using mutltiple programs at the same time.

The hardware/software question was directed towards giving me an understanding of what programs you use to establish a connexion, and what hardware you have (NIC card, for example). Some connexions to some ISPs will "time out" when not actively used for a certain length of time; you may wish to investigate this aspect with your ISP/and or your campus Internet office (it sounds like you have talked to the latter, but I just wanted to make sure).

Hope this helps some,
Regards,
John

#5 Gonz_Wai

Gonz_Wai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:57 AM

the broadband check website replyed with this over and over the number changed from 7 to 16
Sorry! your IP address 152.163.xxx.x, has now requested 4 applet loads, which is over the limit for today

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2004 - 10:47 AM

Most of the time, there is a limit to the number of tests you are allowed to make in a day; this is done to allow more users to use the testing fuction.
7 to 16 WHAT?

if KBS, that is extremely low. Any sort of DSL should be over 200 KBS at the minumum. With bandwidth like 16KBS you should consider yourself lucky if ONE program works properly.
Cheers,
John

#7 Gonz_Wai

Gonz_Wai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2004 - 09:03 PM

actually i just did the test again and it was recorded at 5749/43....does that mean anything?>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users