Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD + Can't access recovery console

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Chimmarin

Chimmarin

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:00 AM

Hello,
I received really great assistance from this forum once in the past and have been helped many times by reading through other people's posts. I've been doing some reading on my current issue but have run into a road block and I'm hoping someone can help me out.
I recently turned on my Dell Precision 380 running XP Professional and it immediately ran a CHKDSK. The CHKDSK made it to "CHKDSK is verifying indexes" and it froze at 4% for a few hours. I did a hard restart and the CHKDSK began again and again made it to "CHKDSK is verifying indexes", this time freezing at 2% where I let it sit for a couple days with no progress. I did a hard restart again and now when I try to start Windows normally I get the Windows splash screen for about ten seconds and then BSOD. Most often the tech info provided is:
*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x8054AFCB, 0xBA56AFD0, 0xBA56ACCC) Codes in parentheses usually change.

I've also recorded BSODs with the following groups of information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xB0021679, 0xBA56B570, 0xBA56B26C)
***savrt.sys – Address B0021679 base at AFFFC000, DateStamp 43a78790

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: navex15.sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
***STOP: 0x00000050 (0xE3AF7000, 0x00000001, 0xAFBFB7B9, 0x00000001)
***navex15.sys - Address AFBFB7B9 base at AFB92000, Datestamp 48a4f3b2

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: savrt.sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
***STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFB02B915, 0x00000000, 0xB0B8C679, 0x00000000)
***savrt.sys - Address B0B8C679 base at B0B67000, Datestamp 43a78790

Every time I try to boot in safe mode it hangs up on :
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys

Then BSOD with the following information

***STOP:0x0000007B (0xF789E254, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) .

I did some reading on BSOD fixes and have tried booting from my XP disk to get to the recovery console and this is where I ran into another problem. The recovery console requires the admin password which I don't know. I purchased this computer from the company I worked at three years ago after it went out of business. I've never needed the admin password until now and no one I've been able to contact knows what it is.

I read about PC Login Now which creates a bootable disk and allows you to reset the admin password. When I boot from this disk everything seems to be working correctly and I get to a screen that says “PC Login Now! Is ready to start, please click NEXT to continue…” However a prompt also pops up that says “You DON’T have any Windows Installed. PC Login Now! Will reboot computer NOW…”
I can’t get past that prompt and I’m right back where I started with the BSOD.

I’m at a complete loss for what to try next. If anyone has any ideas or can offer assistance I’d appreciate it.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:36 AM

1) Reset the admin password: https://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=savrt.sys&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGLL_en-GBUS430US394&ie=UTF-8#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1B3GGLL_en-GBUS430US394&source=hp&q=reset+admin+password+xp&pbx=1&oq=reset+admin+&aq=3&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=38982l41510l0l44428l14l9l1l1l1l0l619l1774l1.6.1.5-1l11l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=47c17a18bfdc245c&biw=1280&bih=615

2) Boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r

3) Completely uninstall Norton anti virus (it's causing the blue screen errors for some reason) and either replace it with another av or do a fresh install of the same product.
https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?lg=english&ct=united+states&docid=20080710133834EN&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home

#3 Chimmarin

Chimmarin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:10 PM

Hi Allan,
Thanks for the reply. Is there a link for resetting the admin password from the search results you posted that you're familiar with and would recommend? I've tried to reset the administrator password using boot disks from the following sources and each have resulted in the corresponding errors.

http://www.prime-expert.com/ebcd/
Error
Can't Run windows password wizard
Failed to read '\SAM\Domains\Account' key of SAM database

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
Error
NTFS probe returned error code 12
Sorry, cannot continue
* Canceled *

http://www.pcloginnow.com/
Unnamed
You DON’T have any Windows Installed. PC Login Now! Will reboot computer NOW…

Some of the links from your search results require that you pay for the software which I don't have a problem with but I'm wary of doing that blindly given the luck I've had so far with password reset software.

Thanks

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:23 PM

I recently turned on my Dell Precision 380 running XP Professional and it immediately ran a CHKDSK. The CHKDSK made it to "CHKDSK is verifying indexes" and it froze at 4% for a few hours. I did a hard restart and the CHKDSK began again and again made it to "CHKDSK is verifying indexes", this time freezing at 2% where I let it sit for a couple days with no progress.

At this stage it is apparent that there is some serious disk file system corruption. Before any further attempts are made to repair the file system, it would be wise to test the hard drive for problems, in case a hard drive problem is responsible for the file system corruption.

If you tell us the hard drive manufacturer's name (brand name) and model we can point you to the most appropriate diagnostic utility to use. It is best to use the hard drive manufacturer's own diagnostic utility, but Seagate's tool will work OK on most brands. The diagnostic tool is run from a bootable CD (Windows does not need to be working).The first two steps are done on a working computer, while the third step is to boot the ailing computer with the CD that you create in the first two steps.

Step 1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
Step 2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

Step 3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test may take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 Chimmarin

Chimmarin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

Thanks AustrAlien,
The computer has two hard drives. Here are the drive info and SeaTools test results for each:

Device 0 is Seagate Device ST3160023AS 5MT2AFVP On Intel ICH7R
Max Native Address 312499999
Device is 48 Bit Addressed - Number of LBAs 312499999 ( 160.000 GB )
This drive supports Security Features
SMART Is Supported And ENABLED
SMART Has Not Been Tripped
DST Is Supported
Logging Feature Set Is NOT Supported
POH 27468 Current Temp 38

Started Short DST 11/19/2011 @3:42.29
DST Completed Without Error
Short DST PASSED 11/19/2011 @ 4:46.41
Long Test PASSED 11/19/2011 @ 4:46.41

Device 1 is Seagate Device ST3160023AS 5MT2A126 On Intel ICH7R
Max Native Address 312499999
Device is 48 Bit Addressed - Number of LBAs 312499999 ( 160.000 GB )
This drive supports Security Features
SMART Is Supported And ENABLED
SMART Has Not Been Tripped
DST Is Supported
Logging Feature Set Is NOT Supported
POH 27468 Current Temp 34

Started Short DST 11/19/2011 @ 5:14.38
DST Completed Without Error
Short DST PASSED 11/19/2011 @ 6:18.43
Long Test PASSED 11/19/2011 @ 6:18:43

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:05 AM

That was a good start!

Please try the following:

Download NTBR_CD.exe and create a bootable CD.
  • Save the file to your Desktop and double-click it. This will create a folder named NTBR_CD.
  • Open the folder and locate BurnItCD. Launch it by double-clicking it.
  • When BurnCDCC opens, click Start - the CD tray will open.
  • Insert blank CD and click OK.
  • The tray will close, burn the image then eject the disk.
Run chkdsk.
  • Boot the affected computer with the new CD.
  • Once presented with the boot screen please hit <ENTER> to boot from CD.
  • After a warning screen there is a keyboard language options screen - press <ENTER> to leave it at EN-US.
    You should now be at the Tool options screen.
  • Type 5 and press <ENTER> to go to a command prompt.
    At the command prompt type the following bolded command then press <ENTER>

tools\ntfs4dos\chkdsk

You will be prompted (in German) to press Enter.
  • Press <ENTER> to start the check disk utility.
    Check Disk will check all attached drives and attempt to correct any errors.
    Please make a note of any errors found or corrections made.
  • When it completes type "menu" and press <ENTER> to return to the tools menu.
  • Type 6 and press <ENTER> to quit, then Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.
(With thanks to noahdfear for the above tool and instructions.)

Please let me know if chkdsk reports any errors or corrections made, or if it completes without incident.

Allow the computer to attempt booting normally and let me know the outcome.

----------
As an example of a successful outcome after running this tool, see the following ....
Anne_ATL: "I cannot get into my computer even in safe mode, how can I fix or at least personal files off"
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic404710.html/page__view__findpost__p__2312856

EUREKA!!!! :bananas: :bananas: :bananas:

At least for now, I have not checked everything to confirm that I did not lose anything, but I am at the desktop.

Thank you so much! :flowers:

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 Chimmarin

Chimmarin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:50 AM

Hi AustrAlien,
I appreciate the help.

I tried running the CHKDSK from the bootable cd 3 times and each time it reached 63% of stage 2 and stopped.
It read:
An unspecified error occurred
and gave me a command prompt.

It appeared things were going well. The CHKDSK hadn't made it that far in stage 2 before but obviously something is wrong.

Any ideas for what to try next?

Thanks

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:03 AM

I have no more tricks left in my little bag: To attempt to fix the current predicament ... although it might be interesting and fun ... I would be flying by the seat of my pants, and possibly wasting our time.

It's time to re-assess the gravity of the situation.
  • What options do you have for re-installing the operating system .... either Windows XP or other?
  • Do you have installation disk(s) for the Dell system, or a recovery partition on the hard drive perhaps?
  • Do you have data on the existing problematic hard drive that you wish to/must retrieve?

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 Chimmarin

Chimmarin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:53 AM

Hi AustrAlien,
Thanks for the help so far.
Here are the answers to your questions:

What options do you have for re-installing the operating system .... either Windows XP or other?

I have a Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 reinstallation cd

Do you have installation disk(s) for the Dell system, or a recovery partition on the hard drive perhaps?
I don't have any other installation disks. I didn't set up this computer initially and I'm unaware if there is a recovery partition.

Do you have data on the existing problematic hard drive that you wish to/must retrieve?

I do have data on the hard drive that I would like to retrieve. If it isn't retrievable I'd obviously reconsider.

If at any point the hard drive is deemed a lost cause I understand. I appreciate the effort you've put in to help.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:32 AM

If at any point the hard drive is deemed a lost cause I understand.

The hard drives have checked out OK with SeaTools, so they should not be a problem.
Edit2: .... but perhaps that is not what you meant???

I have a Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 reinstallation cd

Do you mean a genuine retail MicroSoft Windows XP Pro installation CD? If so ... that should do the job nicely ... if you are able to find and use the Windows XP Pro product serial key applicable to the current installation.
  • Is the serial key present on the outside of the box by any chance? If not, we may have to look at trying to find it some other way ... but I don't like our chances.
If it's not the genuine retail version ... then please describe fully what it is.

You would need to visit the DELL website and download drivers specific to your system, after the installation.

I do have data on the hard drive that I would like to retrieve.

Try the following ...

If your computer is not able to boot into Windows or simply not able to access the internet, you can use a LIVE Linux operating system run from a bootable CD or flashdrive instead of Windows, to access the internet, to access files on the HDD(s) and do other tasks.

:step1: Using a working computer:
  • If you wish to use a LIVE CD ...
  • Download the Linux version of your choice (usually an .ISO image file).
  • There are many options to use for a LIVE CD. I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 11 Katya (versions for a CD, and larger versions that need to be burned to a DVD disk)
[*]Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
[*]When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
[/list][*]OR ... if you wish to use a LIVE flashdrive ...
  • Go to UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads and at the top of the page, click on Download (for Windows) to download the application.
  • Follow the instructions further down the page under the heading Installation & Screenshots.
  • Run the application to download and install the Linux version of choice to your flashdrive.
  • I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 11 Katya (download file size depends on version)
[/list][/list]
:step2: Boot the problematic machine from the LIVE CD or flashdrive.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD drive or the flashdrive, which ever you are using.)
  • Choose to run the Linux operating system from the CD or flashdrive without making any changes to your computer.
    Do NOT install Linux on your hard drive.
  • When the Linux operating system loads ...
  • You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.
  • You can backup your files by copying them to a flashdrive or an external hard drive.
  • Before using the internet (if you choose to use Puppy, for example) you may have to:
  • Configure/set up the internet connection
  • Download a favourite browser
    (With Linux Mint the foregoing should not be necessary.)
[/list]You may find one of the following guides useful:
Recover files from Windows XP hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows Vista hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows 7 hard disk using Puppy Linux

The easiest way to copy files/folders in Puppy is to drag-and-drop from one window to another. To do this open a window showing what you want to copy. Open another window showing the location that you wish to copy to .... and move the windows so that you can conveniently see both at the same time.

Now, simply drag the items you wish to copy from one window into the other. Simple.

------------
Recent news: You may be interested to have a look at the following:

The most popular Linux is...

No it’s not Fedora, openSUSE, or even Ubuntu. It’s Linux Mint.

=============
You said re your data on the problematic hard drive: "If it isn't retrievable I'd obviously reconsider."
I am not at all sure what you might have meant by that.

Edit to correct spelling.

Edited by AustrAlien, 21 November 2011 - 03:42 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 Chimmarin

Chimmarin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:05 AM

Here's a photo the same Windows XP Reinstallation disk I mentioned. It was given to me by the IT guy at the office I used to work in and purchased this computer from.
Posted Image

The Windows XP Professional product key is on the computer case.

Is there something that I can do before attempting to pull data from the damaged hard drive? If not I'll get started with the steps you mentioned.

re data on the problematic hard drive, I just meant if the data can't be retrieved I'd be happy with a computer that was functioning

Thanks

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:14 AM

It would seem that the reinstallation CD that you have is meant to be used on your DELL computer in that case. You have the product key, so all should be well when it comes time to do a fresh installation of Windows XP, after wiping your hard drive clean and fully formatting the partition that you create.

I don't think there is any more that we can reasonably attempt to do in an effort to recover the damaged Windows system. If you are able to retrieve copies of your important files, then I think you could consider yourself lucky. Go ahead and try with a Linux LiveCD. If that fails to read the file system, then there is one other possibility we could try, if you wish. Let me know how things are going.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 Chimmarin

Chimmarin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:19 AM

Alright,
I'll get started trying to access my files and let you know how things go. Probably wont be able to repost until tomorrow.
Thanks again for the help.

#14 Oertty

Oertty

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:54 AM

Why not ? i think you must use wrong way to do ,if you want to recover deleted or lost data  from phone , you can downloaded and install an effective recovery tools on your telephone , after then, it can access to your phone and scan the phone memory for recover deleted purpose , but remember to stop using any app , because that will product any new data and can overwrite the old data , if thatis the case,you hard time to get them back ,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users