Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer After Reformat

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stiffy

stiffy

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:59 PM

i recently formatted my hard drive and reinstalled XP home edition. it didn't get much faster. it isn't even close to how fast it was when it was new. somebody told me that it could be that i have bad RAM. does anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:44 PM

Have you updated all your system drivers? Just a thought.

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 SuperSam

SuperSam

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:27 PM

Hi,

This might happen if you had chosen the Quick format instead of the regular format. Format with NTFS/FAT file system but not with the "Quick" option. Click here for screenshots Make sure that there are no external devices like printer, scanner, hi speed Internet cables connected to the PC during reinstallation of XP. Install the chipset drivers first and then the rest (video, audio, NIC, modem, etc). Install antivirus and antispyware before you connect to the Net or as soon as you connect to the Net. Also check if the system RAM is the same that you ordered by going here Start-> Rt click My Computer and click "Properties".

Sam.

Edited by SuperSam, 31 January 2006 - 06:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users