Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to internet - IP problem?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zarcasm

Zarcasm

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:05 PM

I have a D-Link DWA-525 Wireless N 150 Desktop Adapter ( [link] ) with a Rosewill RNX-A8-EX Omni-Directional Antenna attached ( [link] ). The router I'm using is a Netgear.
This setup has worked fine for a long time until tonight. My connection started cutting out and reconnecting, then went down all together. I left it for about two hours to see if the problem would just correct itself, and it hasn't been able to reconnect since (has been down for about 4-6 hours now). It detects the connection but cannot connect to it.
I've restarted the computer and the router. When using the troubleshooter in Windows Live Messenger, it tells me there is a problem with my IP. I tried to reset the IP using ipconfig /renew and ipconfig /release commands to no avail. Both tell me "No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its media disconnected."
Contacted my ISP and they told me it was either a problem with my computer or the router. Two laptops are able to connect without any problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:08 PM

Please run Minitool box and post the result and distance of the desktop to the Netgear routers(Brand/model?). Did you check your settings for the wireless USB adapter if nothing have changed?

Tekken

#3 Zarcasm

Zarcasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:47 AM

Please run Minitool box and post the result and distance of the desktop to the Netgear routers(Brand/model?). Did you check your settings for the wireless USB adapter if nothing have changed?

I can't download and run any program on the computer without internet. Would running it on a laptop that will connect work?

I should've included the model, but didn't have it at the time. The router is a Netgear WNR1000v2. I'm not so good with judging distance, but it's maybe 45-55 feet away? The distance hasn't changed and it previously worked fine wirh this.

I do not have a wireless USB adapter. It's a PCI card adapter. I messed with the wireless manager and setup that the adapter came with, nothing looks different.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:01 PM

Would running it on a laptop that will connect work?

Yes, you could then copy the software to a flash drive and run the software from there. The guide will be here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic398507.html . If the problem is on wireless, then connect on your wifi connection then run Minitool Box. Post the result on your next reply. It would also be worth mentioning what happens prior to the disconnecting problem on wireless. Does wired connection able to connect?

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users