Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not able to maintain consistent connection

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:54 PM

Since I got my new laptop computer I have been having trouble getting/staying on my wireless network. The network performed very well with my previous laptop which was the same as this replacement – same manufacturer, same o.s., 32-64 bit, programs etc.

When I set up my network about 6 months ago for my old laptop I stored the password and codes etc. on a flash drive so when I got the new one I just copied it or part of it onto the new one and it worked well, no trouble setting it up.

Now with my new laptop it is S.O.P. That I can't maintain my connection on the network. It always ends up that I am either on and then lose connection or when I've been off and try to get back on and I find that according to the message "I have not chosen to connect to any available network". If I look it lists about 7 or 8 networks in the neighborhood but not mine. Attempts to troubleshoot the network do not successfully resolve it. The only thing that works is to unplug the router for even just a couple of seconds and plug it back in and problem solved. Of course that's not very convenient and definitely not the way its supposed to work.

Last night when this happened I was fooling around with the diagnose trouble and came up with some kind of report I never got before that made no sense to me. I managed to save a couple of those reports and they talk about tunneling and DHCP not enabled I don't know if it means anything or not.

Since my network doesnt show up but others in the neighborhood do I guess it must be something specific to my equipment.

Any of this make sense to anyone and/or know what/how to fix? The diagnostics say that I have my computer set to "offline" but I did not set it up that way it just goes with the problem. Does it always say that if your network goes down or does it mean something?

Mostly its like that after I have been off the net a while and want to get back on but it just happened a few minutes ago while I was online and then the next minute disconnected. Again.

Thanks for tip I'm clueless. The icon shows in my task bar I guess its called along with other programs. It shows the signal icon with a yellow star/mark on top of it. The rest of the icons appear unaffected.

A lot of the time when I'm online it keeps saying the network reset and so I just reload and with 3 or 4 tries its usually back up.

I will try to attach the reports here. For a computer I've only had one week it has been a lot of trouble and I don't know if its just a lemon or if its unrelated problems.

Considering that MSI the manufacturer has been very NOT HELPFUL with this I am tempted to take it back to where I got it and see if they will let me return it. I am also having trouble with the sound varying but almost always barely loud enough to hear, not loud enough to understand clearly but you can just hear it.

I could reset this computer back to original settings as someone else suggested about the audio problem but that would mean a whole ton of updates and stuff I'm just getting caught up on. <_<

Anne

Edited by kcsummer, 18 November 2011 - 10:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

I see you have different wireless network shown(most probably able to connect previously). These wifi networks can be found on your Network Sharing Center -> Manage Wireless Networks. Any unused networks you can delete from there by just highlighting/right-clicking then remove network. I suppose you mean wireless connection.
1. Have you tried wired first to check on the problem?
2. Is wireless connection secured?
3. Did it worked flawlessly since the day you acquired the laptop ?
4. What is the complete brand/model of the laptop together with the router/modem?

Tekken

#3 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

I see you have different wireless network shown(most probably able to connect previously). These wifi networks can be found on your Network Sharing Center -> Manage Wireless Networks. Any unused networks you can delete from there by just highlighting/right-clicking then remove network. I suppose you mean wireless connection.
1. Have you tried wired first to check on the problem?
2. Is wireless connection secured?
3. Did it worked flawlessly since the day you acquired the laptop ?
4. What is the complete brand/model of the laptop together with the router/modem?

I am getting totally confused. I must have uploaded the report but I can't locate it but from what you say you must be able to.

I do have a copy of several reports here but I'm not sure which one I uploaded if any.

To answer your questions:

I have my Mac Desktop wired to the modem/router and these problems with connectivity do not happen with that arrangement

Yes, my wireless connection is secure.

It worked very well for months since I got the router but it was with a different computer than the current one. It was an identical computer which is since then not useable (no way to charge it, the charging port was damaged). For months i believe I had to do a router/modem reset once. Now with this laptop it goes down 3 or 4 or more times a day, sometimes minutes apart.

The laptop is as follows:

MSI A6200

Windows7

Product Number: 9S7-16818D-689
A6200-689US Intel® Pentium® Dual Core Processor P6100Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit
Upgrade to Genuine Windows® 7 Professional recommended
• Classic Cross-Hatch Design • 15.6" 16:9 wide screen display • 4GB (2G x 2) DDR3 memory plus 320GB hard drive • LED power-saving backlight technology • 802.11b/g/draft n Wireless LAN • HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) Output • MSI Exclusive ECO Engine Power Management System

I will have to get the info on the router and post it a little later tonight

I do not have any idea what any of the stuff on these reports mean so maybe you could tell me? I'm clueless, thanks.

Edited by kcsummer, 19 November 2011 - 09:51 PM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

Usually home wireless network are based on signal strengths/distance. Make sure the wifi signal is not dropped/dropping then lost by staying at good range to eliminate distance to interferences.

Tekken

#5 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:12 AM

I am the same distance away as I was with the first computer that worked fine so I don't think it has anything to do with distance imo.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

Do you still know your password key for your wireless network security? If yes, then delete the wireless connection copied from usb and manually configure the setup. You just need to click on wifi icon on system tray and look for your home network ID or name. If asked for the password, enter the correct key and security mode(WEP/WPA) that will match on what is on the router. Then on the connection tab, checkmark, connect automatically when this network is in range. What model is your router?

If I look it lists about 7 or 8 networks in the neighborhood but not mine

In contrast to other connections being broadcast and unsecured, uncheck Connect Automatically When This Network is in rangeor leave all options blank.
Check also this link : Change Wireless Network Priority

Tekken

#7 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:45 AM

Do you still know your password key for your wireless network security? If yes, then delete the wireless connection copied from usb and manually configure the setup. You just need to click on wifi icon on system tray and look for your home network ID or name. If asked for the password, enter the correct key and security mode(WEP/WPA) that will match on what is on the router. Then on the connection tab, checkmark, connect automatically when this network is in range. What model is your router?

In contrast to other connections being broadcast and unsecured, uncheck Connect Automatically When This Network is in rangeor leave all options blank.

I'm sure you know what you just said but I don't. I took the computer back due to all the stuff and they agreed its a lemon. So I got another computer just like it only not hopefully a lemon. When I tried to get on wirelessly it asked for security key which I have written down on my old computer that I can't charge to get anything off of it. I have a program, I forget the name which lets you access a computer from somewhere else (the computer of course belonging to the person accessing) but I never used it and I wish it would work but I don't know the concept of those things, is hard to imagine getting something off a hard drive of a computer not able to power up.

Anyway - it said to press the button on the router and I did and i got right on but of course it remains to be seen if it will be on again off again like before. I guess if so then I need to start over. Or whatever, thanks for your tips but I'm not good with computer beyond the basics so I dunno. But really thanks for trying to help.

Anne

#8 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:51 AM

I'm curious why you would uncheck connect automatically when this network is in range? Isn't that what I want it to do????

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

I'm curious why you would uncheck connect automatically when this network is in range? Isn't that what I want it to do????

Other nearby networks that you are able to access. Checkmark only that setting for your own network.

Tekken

#10 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

Other nearby networks that you are able to access. Checkmark only that setting for your own network.

Good Idea - I will have to look closer, I was not aware you could limit which you automatically connect to although now I think about it of course you would not want to automatically connect to any network but your own. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users