Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Power Supply Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jon51

jon51

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

Hello all.

I have a computer that is a good 4-5 years old. I was running a 7950gt for years. I wanted to play skyrim but it seems my video card was malfunctioning because it couldnt play it on low. A friend of mine let me borrow his gtx260 until I build my new rig. When starting a new game and going through the opening sequence after a little bit the computer shuts off.

I'm thinking the PSU is the issue. Its a Kingwinn ABT-600MA1 600watt 2 12V Rails of 20A
This PSU is as old as the computer so we will 5+ years.

System runs fine at idle so should I remove it and put in my old? Will it damage it to run idle for now on this PSU?

Any other suggestions would be great.

Jon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 XuzI

XuzI

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:12 PM

Minimum of a 500 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 36 Amp Amps.)

---

Thats off newegg for a evga GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0. Not sure what exactly you have, and not totally sure this is even the problem, but your PSU only kicks out 20A you said.

#3 jon51

jon51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

well 20A on two rails so a total of 40A but again the PSU is over 5 years old probably.

#4 XuzI

XuzI

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:28 PM

well 20A on two rails so a total of 40A but again the PSU is over 5 years old probably.

Ah, sorry didn't read it well I guess.

Is the PSU the one that came with your computer? (and is your computer pre-built or did you custom build it)?

#5 jon51

jon51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:46 PM

I built it myself 5 years ago

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users