Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sony vaio windows vista password forgotten

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 c0at

c0at

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:21 PM

I'll try to be as clear as possible with my explaination of this situation.

My mother bought a Sony Vaio (windows vista home premium). She later upgraded to a better computer and gave my 13 y/o brother the Vaio. He changed the password and now, wonder of wonders, cant remember it. You can only use the Guest account now.

I've tried:
-asking him if he remembers anything about what he changed it to
-the old password
-guessing many different passwords
-going into safe mode and system restoring, but it then prompts me for the main account password
-restarting to get to the admin account, but it's not even there?
-calling Sony (warranty is up, so they wont even talk about it, unless I purchase a new warranty?)

The only thing he can do on his laptop is get on the guest account, surf the web and play the games it came with.

Some of the things it password prompts for:
-try to install anything (cd-rom disc, download from the net, etc)
-defrag'ing
-windows or any other updates
-from control panel - add/remove program

Is there anything I'm forgetting to try?
Can I make a password recovery disk on my desktop and use it for his laptop?

This doesnt really matter to most, but he's mentally challenged, in many ways. He wants to play a new game, but cannot install the content because of this password issue. Any replies are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-heather

p.s. and no, there was no password recovery disk made, lol.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:09 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer. Try method 3 , here : http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/102005-reset-user-account-password.html
Post back results please.

Please use restore points often

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users