Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I make my computer faster without spending $

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smbrezeale

smbrezeale

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:20 PM

I was wasndering if anyone could tell me how I can get my computer to run faster without spending any money. My funds are very tight right now, and my computer is very slow. It is a Compaq Evo N600c, with Intel® Pentium® III processor, Mobile CPU 1066MHz, 1.06GHz, 640MB of RAM. It is a very old laptop. It is currently running Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3. Just trying to speed it up some. Is there a free program that might help? Also when I watch video on this computer(even with a 54 MBPS connection) it is really jumpy and keeps stopping to buffer. I always have to pause the video, so it can get ahead a little. If there is anything I can do to help with this, or any program I could use to help please let me know. Thank you so much! Stephen Brezeale

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:30 PM

<<...640MB of RAM. It is a very old laptop.>>

All of the following...is just my opinion.

The last thing that you need to do...is install another program, of any sort. I would uninstall all unnecessary programs via Add/Remove Programs.

You have limited RAM capability, you have a very old CPU powering the system...which says to me that I would reduce the number of programs that I have installed and using those resources.

I would also disable System Restore and Indexing.

I would remove all toolbars and unnecessary browser add-ons...and all other nonessentials from the system.

An old laptop with 640MB of RAM is never going to be a speed merchant in today's era...but removing some of the current stresses on resources will make life easier for the system.

Re Your Connection

Louis

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

Hello,

I think that hamluis has covered what would give you the greatest improvement in your older system.

It may be possible to "eke out" a little more performance by installing the following portable software onto a USB Flash drive or CD and running them once from there.

ERUNT (Unzip and copy ERUNT folder to USB Flash or CD).
  • Run ERUNT.exe to make a backup of your computer's registry especially if you disable "system restore." The backup can be found under C:\windows\ERDNT\"dateofbackup" ( run ERDNT.exe to restore to that date).
  • In the same folder, run NTREGOPT.exe. This will compact the registry much the same way that your e-mail program periodically compacts it's database. No values are added or removed from the registry. A reboot is required.

PageDefrag (Unzip and copy PageDefrag folder to USB Flash or CD).
  • Double click PageDfg.exe. Click "defrag at next boot" then "OK" then reboot.
  • Because you have only 640 MBs of RAM, you are no doubt heavily reliant on your hard drive's paging file. This file becomes fragmented over time and less efficient.

Run "Disk Cleanup" from your computer ("Start," "All Programs," Accessories," "System Tools," Disk Cleanup." Check all except "compress old files" then "OK." This frees up more space on the hard drive.

Defraggler Portable (Unzip and copy dfsetup208 folder to USB Flash or CD).
  • Double click Defraggler.exe and select your system drive (usually C:\) .
  • First, click on the "Health" tab to view SMART info (if available for your old drive). If anything is failing, you may not want to run disk defragmenter. Backup your data instead.
  • If all is well, click "Analyze" drive, then "Defrag."

TCPOptimizer (Download TCPOptimizer.exe to a newly created folder under "Program Files" such as "TCPOptimizer").
  • The TCP Optimizer is targeted towards broadband internet connections.
  • Run TCPOptimizer.exe. At the bottom "Choose settings:" click "Optimal," then "Apply changes."
  • Click "OK" to accept the changes. Click "Yes" to reboot.
  • You can always revert to "Windows Default" settings or a backup of your previous settings found in the TCPOptimzer folder.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users