Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS UL20A-A1 need battery replacement

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mcdougal44

mcdougal44

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

Hey all,

I'm new here, so sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section.

I have an ASUS UL20A-A1 laptop that I got in late 2009.

A couple days ago, I received a message on Windows 7 telling me that I should consider replacing my battery. The message also says "There is a problem with your battery, so your computer might shut down suddenly." The message disappeared for a couple days after that but has come back now. I have also noticed that the battery has been discharging quicker than normal, lasting usually less than an hour.

It's been a couple of years, and I suspect that I need to replace this battery. The problem is, I don't know where to find one. There's nothing on the ASUS support site.

Would anyone know where I could find the best deal for a replacement battery? I currently have a 6-cell 4400mAh.

Thanks so much for the help, I appreciate it :)!
Computer: ASUS UL20A-A1 laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

google search results . good luck , http://tinyurl.com/6th59o6

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 XuzI

XuzI

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:02 PM

Looks like they are about $55+ on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Asus+UL20A-A1+Battery&_sacat=See-All-Categories

#4 mcdougal44

mcdougal44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:13 AM

Thanks guys for the replies.

@XuzI, I didn't even think of eBay. I found this which looks like a pretty good deal.

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:55 PM

only thing i can say about batterys on ebay ,they are usually generic Chinese nockoff's ,i have purchased 2 [or more ]n recent years ,both for the same laptop ,first one only lasted about a year ,i sold laptop last year so not sure how second one is doing .

#6 mcdougal44

mcdougal44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:06 PM

only thing i can say about batterys on ebay ,they are usually generic Chinese nockoff's ,i have purchased 2 [or more ]n recent years ,both for the same laptop ,first one only lasted about a year ,i sold laptop last year so not sure how second one is doing .

Well thanks for the info anyways, but I just ordered the eBay one. Hopefully I'll be lucky, because the only official ASUS battery I found was on Amazon.com for $130, and there is no way I'd pay that much for a battery. Thanks again for the help guys I think I found the best deal :).

Edited by mcdougal44, 19 November 2011 - 03:07 PM.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

yeah $130.00 thats why i shopped ebay too . good luck

#8 mcdougal44

mcdougal44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:04 PM

My new battery came today, and so far so good :)!

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:46 AM

great ,from my own experience ,just keep an eye on it for getting hot

#10 mcdougal44

mcdougal44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

Hey guys, unfortunately it looks like I might have a problem here...

I've had my new battery for a couple of weeks now, and all has been going well until yesterday. The battery is charging and discharging normally, and I'm not receiving any battery replacement messages in Windows.

However....on my laptop, the front battery light is constantly blinking green and orange. Also, when I'm running on battery, if I close my laptop into sleep mode, I cannot start it up again until I plug in AC power.

Does anybody know what the blinking light means, or where I could find info on it (nothing in the user manual)? I'd also like to figure out the sleep mode issue...

Thanks for the help :)!

#11 mcdougal44

mcdougal44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

Hey guys, I'm having issues again....

A couple weeks ago, my battery light started flashing green and orange all the time again. I didn't do anything about it since my laptop was working normally otherwise.

But just now, while running on battery, my laptop turned off just like before. I turned it back on after plugging in AC power, and I got the same Windows battery replacement message I got with the other battery.

A friend suggested checking the battery to laptop connections for dust and such that might be causing the problem, but there isn't any.

Purchasing another battery isn't an option for me since they're so expensive. I'm confused about this issue and don't know what to do next.

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks guys for any help :)!

#12 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:41 AM

Ebay is a risky place to buy a battery and it appears you may have been bitten by it. With the exception of certain cabling, you get what you pay for in the computer hardware world.

The adapter is a possible culprit, but you'd likely be suffering general system malfunctions long before it'd kill a battery.

Also: Post #12

"For some reason" = Xuzi :thumbup2:

Edited by LucheLibre, 11 January 2012 - 01:45 AM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users