Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows doesn't find P&P external hdds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bik

Bik

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:02 AM

Could any kind forum member please help me with this annoying problem?

It is occurring on my Dell Studio XP - running Win7 Pro. Intel® Core™ i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz.

I'm trying to back up to ext hdd. But however I connect one, I mean to whichever usb port, win explorer fails to pick it up. Although the machine does play a sound so I would have thought it would be recognising it at some level.

The problem is not the hdd. I've tried with two different hdds both of which work with other desktops.

This morning I tried the troubleshooter from Control Panel. Result (copied from troubleshooting report) was as follows:

Issues found
Hardware changes might not have been detectedHardware changes might not have been detected Detected
Scan for recent hardware changes Completed

Potential issues that were checked
Windows Update configured to never install driversWindows Update configured to never install drivers
Driver updates aren't automatically installed when detected by Windows Update. Issue not present

And now I am stuck.

Perhaps someone here has come across similar problems before? I would be grateful for advice.

Bik

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:54 AM

Have a look here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/usb-device-not-recognized-error-keeps-popping-up/6be4581d-8fbd-407f-815e-b475c35ca586

Arrow down to "Was this helpful- 33 voted yes"

Powering Off: It's a simple procedure; may or may not work for you.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Bik

Bik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Artrooks.

It sounded like a great idea. I did something similar to fix the tv set a couple of months back and it was an instant fix. But no such luck this time unfortunately. The problem is still there.

I can use pen drives in the usb ports, so it's not that they are faulty.

Nor the two external drives. They're both fine. They are fairly big but not huge and they both work fine on PCs with less power than this one. Thinking usbs, I've just checked usb controllers in Device Manager and there are no yellow question marks or other indication of a problem

The only positive change is that I can see the drives in Devices and Printers now. Not in Explorer, though.

I shall leave the computer switched off all night and maybe tomorrow morning when I plug one in it will behave.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:03 PM

Hi bik,

Is the external drive recognized in "Disk Management?" If it is, possibly changing the assigned drive letter to say "P" might solve the problem.

Have a look here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/lacie-hard-drive-not-recognized-by-windows-7/98ad2be5-b8cf-4cca-9c9c-aef0c57ab531

Regards,
Brooks

#5 Bik

Bik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:43 AM

Many thanks, Artrooks! This seems to have solved the problem.

I can now see all the volumes in Win Explorer.

So I've started a backup.

I shall be back later to check it's worked and that the drives are still visible after a restart.

Regards from foggy London

Bik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users