Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

adding 2nd nic

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kbit

kbit

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:58 AM

hi people. Need a little advice on networking. My setup is as follows: internet > router > 4 wired pcs + X no. wireless pc , ps3 , devices etc. What I want to do is add a 2nd nic to one of the wired pcs to access and provide access to various computers { one at a time , win98 > win??? } Would there be any major problems or only settings issues? My win98 pcs already work on network { internet , shared folders with every pc both xp and win98 } This would be handy for me { keep first 4 wired }

2nd nic to go in asus p5n-d with XP pro sp3{ i have a dozen working pci nics , cables , x`ver cables , etc. }
Or would adding 2nd router be easier? { have one } No great need { I just like playing around , kinda of a hobbie } but any thoughts on this would be sure helpful { not too much technical mumbo jumbo but I have a fair understanding of most networking terms , ha,ha } Everything I google about this is either too simple { remove cover , insert card } or too technical { routing tables and then i leave } I can set ip addresses , sub net addresses , dns ,dhcp, gateways and after that I am lost.{never used bridges} I am very proficient at the hardware side of computing { setting up or repair of pcs and components } but sadly lacking at software manipulation { i discover new things in apps i`ve used for years and go WOW?-duh! }Hope this narrows which answers I seek { hardware-go? or no go? , software- anything! }

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:44 AM

If you have a Wireless Router at your disposal, then I would suggest getting a PCI (or USB) Wireless-N Network Adapter for all the other desktop computers.

That way, all your desktops remain connected to the internet, without the hassle of NICs and Ethernet cables going around.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 18 November 2011 - 10:44 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 kbit

kbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:13 PM

Yeah , wireless is ok but i find it drops sometimes at the worst times { middle of a game , watching a video etc.} and as I mentioned, I view all this computer stuff as fun and educational . Networking has remained a bit of a mystery until I had enough hardware to hook together and now I am just learning the possibilities . I might just go and hook up win3.11 and learn more { yeah i got that too} From what I know so far about networking , it can be simple {2 pcs } to hybrid monsters using multiple topographies { the internet }. I have already conquered simple and wish to make my own baby monster, ha,ha. Reading only takes me so far in understanding and doing is my best way of learning.Maybe I will just go ahead and hook it up and start a new post if a specific problem occurs. Please , anyone , go ahead and leave any comments about dual nics { maybe i could also use extra nic for nas? } Also most machines I have are old {pre 1999} cpu wise , best to least i have -pentium d , athlonx2 , celeron440 , pentium 4 , celeron 1ghz ,various p3 , pentium 233 , intel 486dx2 , 486dx , 486sx and all with os from dos6.22 > winxp pro sp3. My ultimate goal is to network them all together with each having a function matching their capabilities. I`ve had no problems with 98 to xp and have been saving dos and 3.11 {tcp stacking?? buffers??} for when i need a headache,ha,ha. Dual nics intrigue me for the possible uses.

thanks again

#4 kbit

kbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:44 PM

well i feel foolish, put the extra card in and here two hours later on win98 . whole thing works perfect,i thought it would be hard but too easy. just goes to show how easy these modern os`s make things for you. sorry to have posted about this now,ha,ha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users