Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

jave r.e. 7u1 installer - U.A.C. says "wrapper.exe"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:26 AM

I was ready to run the downloaded file, jre-7u1-windows-i586.exe, to install Java R.E. 7u1, but User Account Control first asked me if I want to run the file called, "wrapper.exe" from Oracle America. This does not seem right, so I ask here if this should be allowed?

(information: Windows Vista)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:35 AM

Here's what I could find:

http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.com/doc/english/introduction.html#service

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/wrapper.exe.html

Edited by ReviverSoft, 18 November 2011 - 10:35 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

ReviverSoft, Thanks for the try, but those do not help. I had made two updates to Java R.E. on the older Windows XP machine, following the instructions given in the BleepingComputer forum without anything too strange. No UAC dialog telling about any "wrapper.exe". The instructions for updating java R.E. in the Bleepingcomputer forum include additional instructions for Windows Vista. No mention of the wrapper.exe were given, only information about "right-click on jre-7u1-windows-i586.exe, and choose Run As Administrator...". So, you see, trying to do the upgrade on the Windows Vista computer brings up that UAC dialog, not mentioned in the instructions, so I feel stuck.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:54 PM

You won't get a UAC prompt with XP (UAC didn't start until Vista).

As long as you downloaded the installer from Oracle's website (or java.com), you can safely install it without worry.

Unfortunately, Vista's UAC prompt is not very helpful in determining whether software is legit or not.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users