Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ipv6 limited connectivy

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ice princess

ice princess

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:44 PM

I have att dsl internet, their modem stopped working, so i went and bought an actiontec GT784WN wireless n dsl modem, i installed it on my windows xp computer and have been able to connect to the internet, but on my computer with windows vista it says that it is connected, but i can't get online, then i click on details and it says that ipv4 is connected, and ipv6 has limited connection, so i realized that the modem i had bought doesn't work with ipv6, i was wondering if this was the reason i can't connect to the internet, and how do i disable ipv6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:34 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer, we can try a couple of things. One is a ip release and then an ip renew from command prompt. To get to elevated command prompt, go to start, then accessories, then right click on Command prompt, this will give you the Admin command prompt, Then type this ( note the space in this ) ipconfig /release then press enter, next do this, type ipconfig /renew , then press enter. . When it finishes, close that window, restart computer, and go to Control Panel, open the Network and Sharing program and select from menu on left side the Set up Connect or Network . Then see if you can get the connection set up now. Post back results please.

Please use restore points often

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:50 PM

You have an open topic in the Am I Infected forum (I just moved it from XP) and I suggest that you resolve that before trying to deal with system issues that may be the result of infection.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic428320.html

You have posted in both XP and Vista forums...is there only one computer you are referring to?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 November 2011 - 08:53 PM.

#4 ice princess

ice princess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:01 PM

hamluis, no this is not the same computer this is a vista computer, the other one for the virus was an xp computer, and that one is fixed now :)

#5 ice princess

ice princess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

lilbit96, i will try to do what you told me once i get home, and will post the results as soon as im done :)

#6 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

Yes, i was watching boopme instruct you, Excellent job. K. lets get the vista working . Also, are your wired to router or doing this wireless. Post me that with results of my last instructions please.

#7 ice princess

ice princess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:11 PM

Well I tried doing what you told me to do, but when I go to the network and sharing center program, my computer freezes, but I was able to do all of the steps before that.

#8 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:03 PM

Are you hard wired to the router or trying this wireless, i would like you to wire up to the router for this. Post back when able please.

#9 ice princess

ice princess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:18 PM

I am trying to do this wireless

#10 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

Okay, lets do this first please, go to Start , all programs, accessories, system tools, you will see system restore, have it create a restore pt for you , you will see how easily enough, it will take you to system protection module and at the bottom of that, you will see create restore pt. Press that and make a new restore pt, When that is done, close that window and then follow these instructions: Start, All Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog <-----

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log <-----

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log <------

You will type the first one, ( notice the bold above , i have put an arrow at the end of the line that starts with netsh etc, note the spacing in the command ) then press enter, continue after each one is finished til you have done the last one. Then restart computer and see if you can continue with my instructions from above . Start over and lets hope you are able to set a connection up now. Please post back results .

#11 ice princess

ice princess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:35 PM

I did all of the steps, but I guess I have another problem, because my computer turns off and a blue screen appears that a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage. Then I couldn't read what it said because it just was too fast. Then when I try to set up a new connection to connect to the internet, it keeps freezing, not the computer but the window, so I can't even open it. Can you help me please :unsure:

#12 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:01 PM

Can you confirm that you did the command prompts of resetting the IPv4 and IPv6 ? Also, you got back to the part of going to Network Sharing to select and Setup a connection ? You say it Blue Screened on you, ? So, i would assume you restarted , correct, and you got back to the part of Set up Connection and it just froze ? Is this what happened ? Your post makes it sound as if you magically got back to the setup screen, just making sure i understand what you did .
Restart computer and we will try this next please : Go to Control Panel, open up Device manager, go to Network Adapters, check that drivers are installed, if you see a yellow caution icon, that is a sure sign that that driver has an issue. If you see no yellow caution , Then expand the network adapter tree by clicking the + sign , this will have your network adapter card(s) , right click each one and have it update the driver(s) . Then i want you to go back to Network and Sharing and attempt to Setup a connection again. Post back results please.

Edit : It should search your computer for the drivers, as it can not get on the net, you can check if it does this, one way or the other , go to Network and Sharing and have it Diagnose and Repair connection . Then post back results. I hope we can do this not being connected to router , as i had requested you to do. Hopefully , you will get the signal from Router and be able to connect . Don't give up, we will get this , one way or another.

Edited by lilbit96, 22 November 2011 - 11:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users