Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loss of Files, Folders, Programs, Etc.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ryyyaaaan

ryyyaaaan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:36 PM

Well, as the title implies, I have a really big problem with my computer. Last night I was playing Modern Warfare 3 and all on the PC, and when I decided to quit playing and exit the application, I come to see a whole bunch of applications, programs, documents, mostly everything missing from my desktop. All of my music, pictures, and saved Word documents are all gone. Even Internet Explorer is gone, and I've noticed that my Program Files folder and my Downloads section of my computer is gone too. I thought about a System Restore, but apparently, there aren't any restore points as of now. I just really need some help right now. If it matters, I'm on Windows 7 Enterprise, 32-bit. And oh, after this encounter, I decided to do a Quick Scan with MBAM and it found and quarantined an Exploit in one of my Temp files, and I have absolutely no idea how it got on my computer in the first place. I'm not really sure if it's the cause of everything, but I thought it'd be helpful to know. I'd appreciate it greatly if anyone could help me get my files back as some of them are very, very important to me. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:58 PM

Is it just the icons on the desktop that are gone? Did you look to see if the files and folders are still on your computer?

If it is just the icons you can put those back on your desktop.

For your programs, go to your Start menu/All Programs. Do you have your installed programs listed? Click one, does it open?

#3 ryyyaaaan

ryyyaaaan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

It's not just the icons. It's the programs, files, and folders themselves that are completely gone. With an exception of about three programs, the ones that are gone now don't show up at all anywhere.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:10 AM

Hi -
Try to follow this tutorial on - How to Do a System Restore in Windows 7.
System Restore - Windows 7 - It may just reverse your problem.

Good Luck

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:48 AM

As a last resort, you could try using a LiveCD to boot from and access the hard drive's contents.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#6 -KFS

-KFS

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:24 PM

Is it me or is this symptom becomgin a bit popular nowadays? It surely sounds like the work of Ultrafragfraud! gen8, but as I last looked, it was not affecting Window & machines....or untill now? Just saying

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

Since you say MBAM found some malware you might take a look here: Unhide.exe - A introduction as to what this program does

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users