Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inaccessible Partition

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Lilium

Lilium

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for responding.

This is a friends pc I'm trying to fix. It's a 200GB HHD; one 7.6GB partition and another 176GB partition. The bigger partition can't be logged into because it's not activated, but I'm not concerned about that, I can fix that. The smaller partition isn't being recognized when I press F8 during Boot-up. What should I do to make it be recognized again?

Tempus Fugit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Can you post a screen shot from Disk Management?

Louis

#3 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:40 PM

Sorry, forgot to mention that; HP Pavilion a1030n

She claims that she was infected by a nasty virus that crippled her system. Then she used Dell software to install Windows on top of (over-write) the infected OS.

Tempus Fugit

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

could you tell what Dell software that she use?

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:38 PM

<<...HP Pavilion a1030n>>

<<She claims that she was infected by a nasty virus that crippled her system. Then she used Dell software to install Windows on top of (over-write) the infected OS.>>

Dell software...to overcome an infected HP system...I don't see that as a solution to an infected system and I believe it should cause system problems, even if it did eliminate the infection issues.

I would get the HP recovery disks and restore/recover-to-factory defaults.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bph07145&lang=en&lc=en&product=459881

Louis

#6 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:45 PM

I'll ask what software she used abauw

As for the recovery option, I think that's the best thing she can do. But, would happen to know what could cause a partition to not be recognized? Lets say, would running chkdsk be of any use?

Tempus Fugit

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:21 PM

A problem with hard drive itself...a problem with the partition/file structure...malware...IMO, any of these could contribute to seeming or real inaccessibility.

Using Dell software on an HP system...I can't estimate what that might do. I know that I don't believe that Dell disks are created and distributed so that they can be used on any computer made by a competitor or which the user might like to install an O/S on.

Louis

#8 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:58 AM

But, would happen to know what could cause a partition to not be recognized?

I think that she was using Dell Recovery Disc and successfull to install factory restore for Dell Computer :whistle:
But, Lets hope this not happens.

Using Dell software on an HP system...I can't estimate what that might do. I know that I don't believe that Dell disks are created and distributed so that they can be used on any computer made by a competitor or which the user might like to install an O/S on.

FYI, there is nothing impossible.
There was a big chance that user could successful install it.

Edited by abauw, 19 November 2011 - 01:02 AM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#9 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

Okay, I going to suggest to her backing up her data and ordering the Recovery Disks. Thank you everyone for your support.

This threat can be locked now.

Edited by Lilium, 21 November 2011 - 04:03 PM.

Tempus Fugit

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:31 PM

We don't (normally) lock/close threads...thus they stay available to all members and may potentially help someone in the future :).

Louis

#11 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:54 AM

I formated her partition and installed a genuine copy of Windows XP Home Edition onto the computer.

Next, I installed the trial Avast! Antivirus using a setup file on my external hdd. Avast! said it wasn't functioning properly; the firewall was disabled and I couldn't get it enabled.

I restart the pc, but the boot up keeps looping, so I press F8 and tell Windows to use Last Known Good Configuration. It worked.

Once logged in, I uninstall Avast! and reinstall it directly from the Avast! website. After it installed successfully, I performed a full scan. Everything was fine. Now my friend says the boot up is looping again and Last Known Good Configuration isn't working. Again, her pc is an HP Pavilion a1030n running on Windows XP Home Edition.

Tempus Fugit

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

A problem with hard drive itself...a problem with the partition/file structure...malware...IMO, any of these could contribute to seeming or real inaccessibility.

Louis

Emphasis added.

#13 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:03 AM

The Windows XP logo does load/show after the Bios screen, some data is being processed. After that, the screen goes black again and the pc re-boots.

So before I replace the hdd with a spare hdd I have, are you sure it is a hardware issue?

Tempus Fugit

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:02 AM

<<...are you sure it is a hardware issue?>>

Of course not :).

Even if the computer was right here in my hands, I would not "be sure" of what the problem might be...compund that by the fact that I don't know what you have done or not done and the fact that we are reliant upon the conveyance of useful information by you...and you see that I am never "sure" about any response/comment which I make.

Which is why I couch them in the manner that I do...an opinion from someone who can only guess, rather than accurately diagnose. Some guesses are accurate, some inaccurate...that's the nature of guessing. All are made with the intent of not providing "the solution" to anything...but rather possible steps which can be taken to effect a solution of sorts or arrive at a clearer definition of the problem.

That's the best that I can do...being the person that I am and not having a system in front of me, where I could explorer various premises as I try to arrive at clear definition of the problem and potential ways to overcome it.

My basic premise in posting...is to try to eliminate one possible cause or important factor at a time...and then move on to another...until I'm either out of reasonable ideas or someone else posts an idea which results in a solution or clearly makes mine nowhere near the truth.

Louis

#15 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:41 PM

Okay, understood. Thanks again for all the assistance. I'm going to replace the hdd.

Tempus Fugit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users