Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Photorec incorrect size reported

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pominator

pominator

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

Hi

A friend of mine had his sdhc card corrupted. His computer frooze when looking at photos on it, he then removed the card and now it can't be accessed anymore. I try to recover the photos on it. When I insert it in my sdhd card reader, I hear the sound windows make when a new periphical is inserted but I don't see the card in Windows Explorer (no letter assigned). I have then tryed Photorec. It search for quite a long time then find the card, but report incorrect size :

524kb Generic-Multi-Card

Instead of 4 Gb it should be. It is noted under this in Photorec :

---
Note: Disk capacity must be correctly detected for a successful recovery. If a disk listed above has incorrect size, check HD jumper settings, BIOS detection, and install the latest OS patches and disk drivers.
---

I have tryed several time with the same result. I have also tryed with Testdisk with the same result (524 kb reported). I have not tryed to rescue with this size in fear of losing the content of the card.

The card is a Kodak 4GB SDHC Class 4. I am testing with a know to work card reader on laptop running Windows 7 SP1 32 bits. I have cleaned when contact with a little bit of alcool on q-tips with no change. Also, sometimes the card is not detected at all when I lauch Photorec or Testdisk. I have tryed with both latest 6.13 and beta 6.14-WIP Photorec. I have also tryed the card in another digital camera with an unusable error message. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

pominator

Edited by pominator, 17 November 2011 - 04:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pominator

pominator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:49 AM

I have been answered in another forum. The answers were :

You have gone about as far as you can go on this one without special tools and knowledge of file structure. You need to do a recovery of this card but programs will not do this one for you. You need a special reader and understanding of how to reconstruct the file structure to do this one. You should try a DR company who specializes in this type of recovery and has the tools to do this with. Good luck

and

Ann is correct, you cannot proceed further on your own with this one.
Suggest you contact Eric at Datacent in Canada or Luke at Recovery Force, they will be able to sort this out for you.

For those who stumble upon this post with the same problem.

Thanks.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

Thank you for sharing your answer.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users