Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to install Windows XP service pack 3

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 IndyDon

IndyDon

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

I've been unable to update Windows XP Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2 to Service Pack 3. I've tried multiple times without success. I've tried to upgrade to SP3 at least three times in recent days but keep getting an "access denied" icon after the update has been running for several minutes.

I have visited Microsoft's website and went through the instructions for installing SP3 and instructions for troubleshooting. I've tried to update by doing it online as well as downloading the file and running it. There is only one user account on the PC and I checked to verify that I am signed in with administrator rights. I've disabled AV software when trying to update.

My XP MCE is the 32-bit version. I'd be grateful if someone is able to assist. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:12 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 IndyDon

IndyDon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:16 PM

Dell XPS DXP051 desktop

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:17 AM

What error message do you receive when trying to install from the desktop?

Exactly what happens...as you try to install from the desktop?

Louis

#5 IndyDon

IndyDon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

Tried to install yet again so I could be more specific.
1. I initiate Express Install for SP3 after selecting the Windows update icon in the quick launch menu
2. Software Update Install Wizard begins running
3. Wizard creates backups, creates a restore point, and begins installing SP3
4. After approximately 15 minutes, a dialog box appears with the title "Service Pack 3 Setup...". In the box, it reads, "Access is denied".
5. I select OK to undo partial changes
6. Dialog box appears, which reads "Service Pack 3 installation did not complete. Windows XP has been partially updates and may not work properly."

I have tried to install SP3 several times and always get the same error message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users