Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Images appearing as red "x"s after virus clean out

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Know Thy Master

Know Thy Master

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:06 PM

Original Topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic427853.html
I was redirected by boopme, who was very helpful in cleaning out a work computer of a number of infections. So now I'm not quite as concerned that it may be malware, but am still concerned that images still appear as red "x"s even after I've followed his suggested steps and microsoft's suggested steps. This is detrimental to our work since we do use the internet to connect to a database that is in-browser, and while we can usually use product numbers it does help to have the picture in front of us to ensure we're getting the customer the right product.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:50 PM

A bit more detail, please...are all the images online?

Where are the images actually on file?

If the images are on a given system...there should be no red X.

Generally...a red X applears when the link to a given photo is broken...as when receiving forwarded emails from someone with the files on their system.

Louis

#3 Know Thy Master

Know Thy Master
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

Yes, the images are online. Not all images are affected, but I know for a fact your forums are not supposed to look like this: http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/2144/errorsc.png

Thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

Was that image taken today? How about a current image of this website from your system?

Louis

You might check your browser settings. In IE...Tools/Internet Options/Advanced tab...browse down to Multimedia settings, see what you have for showing pics.

Edited by hamluis, 17 November 2011 - 03:10 PM.

#5 Know Thy Master

Know Thy Master
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:19 PM

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/9773/error2vq.png New picture here!
And I have done that. It is checked. I've done everything on Microsoft's website shown here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283807
I've also done everything that was suggested in the original thread stated in my first post, aside from the thing that requires the OS disk - which I don't have and can't get ahold of due to it being a company computer.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:27 PM

Tried different browsers?

IE may be damaged irrevocably.

If it only happens for online graphics, your browser may be the problem.

Louis

#7 Know Thy Master

Know Thy Master
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:38 PM

I hadn't tried other browsers because before the virus scan/clean out, Google Chrome was installed but wouldn't work. But now it does, and that seems to have fixed the problem. Somehow, I'm not too surprised that IE broke. Thank you for your help - would uninstalling/reinstalling IE work? I don't know how my co-workers will feel about switching to another browser, or how the owner will.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:54 PM

Well...if IE is the problem, you can always reinstall it. I don't know what version is installed...but IE should be the version of IE used by XP members.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-8

Reinstalling it from the desktop may prove fruitful.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users