Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some Desktop Icons Dissappeared

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 transceiver

transceiver

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:31 PM

This morning I decided to create a new user account. There was only 1 account on the machine, with administrative priveledges. I created a 2nd account and also made it an administrator account. I then logged off the 1st account and into the new account, made a few simple changes to Internet Explorer (Toolbar and Explorer bar options), then logged back into the 1st account. When I did, I noticed half of the icons that were on the desktop were gone. There are spaces now between the ones that are still there (previously had about 30 of them on the desktop all arranged to the left, aligned to grid; now there are about 17 missing). I am using Windows Home 7 Premium, service pack 1.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Miguel Leiva-Gomez

Miguel Leiva-Gomez

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:05 PM

With this version of Windows, you shouldn't be having that problem. It's probably a virus that deletes certain icons on your desktop.
Get on the grind with The Tech Guy!

Posted Image

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:27 PM

Hi -
First try a system restore using these directions System Restore - Windows 7 Forums.
This can take your system back prior to making the changes, and may fix the problem -

Regards -

#4 transceiver

transceiver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

I would definitely try a System Restore but right now the only option is a restore point from AFTER the time of the incident. Which I'm also confused about. When this originally happened, I considered doing a system restore and saw there was a restore point from yesterday. I decided to do a little more research on the problem . . . couple of hours later, decided to go ahead with the system restore and saw there was only a restore point from AFTER the incident.

???

If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

#5 Miguel Leiva-Gomez

Miguel Leiva-Gomez

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:11 PM

Hi -
First try a system restore using these directions System Restore - Windows 7 Forums.
This can take your system back prior to making the changes, and may fix the problem -

Regards -

Nice call! I forgot about Sys. Restore.

transceiver: You might really have a virus, if System Restore also pooped.

Edited by Miguel Leiva-Gomez, 17 November 2011 - 04:12 PM.

Posted Image

#6 transceiver

transceiver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:29 PM

I'm pretty confident that it's not a virus . . . I do updates every day on AVG plus I manually updated and did a full scan right after this happened and there were no infections found.

#7 Miguel Leiva-Gomez

Miguel Leiva-Gomez

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:48 PM

I'm stumped... I've only heard of viruses doing something like this.

Posted Image

#8 transceiver

transceiver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

Actually, there are known issues, certainly with previous versions of Windows, involving this type of behavior (not related to any virus, malware, spyware, etc). And, at least 1 issue with Windows 7, where this type of thing happens and you can recover your lost icons by flusing and rebuilding the icon cache (located in %userprofile%\AppData\Local\IconCache.db) which simply involves deleting the IconCache.db file (or renaming it to IconCache.db.old) and then rebooting.

However I tried this and it did not work.

So I'm still looking for suggestions. I appreciate you guys' input thoough :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users