Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Complete Lock up

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TheILLST

TheILLST

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:35 PM

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/img0764d.jpg/sr=1
First I am more than adequate when dealing with computer issues. I was a computer science major. Yes, was... Anyway my problem is this. I am running XP 32 bit, all service pack updates, all other windows updates, and updated every driver manually. I am the same issue on two different hard drives I tried. I also bought a cheap however new video card to see if that was the issue, it wasn't. My problem is my computer will COMPLETELY freeze up at times. No CTRL ALT DEL does nothing. It is a complete lock up. This problem occurs EVERYTIME I stream a video offline, flash is the worst, but all streaming videos freeze the computer. It happens anywhere from right away to sometimes 3-4 minutes in. I can play .mpeg movies or video that isn't streaming a lot better. However the crash usually will occur eventually sometimes not for 1 hour into the .mpeg movie. The freez does come with some warning when watching a streaming video, usually chrome or firefox will crash first then when I go to watch it again, the main freeze occurs. Also it seems like graphically intense websites like ESPN or IGN also cause the freeze sometime right away, sometime 10-15 minutes into surfing. The computer also will often freeze on startup as soon as the start button and tray icons start loading. This is less occasionaly but still frequent. The computer will also sometimes restart itself with freezing then restart again mid startup. I don't know what the deal is? Ram? Motherbored? This computer is pretty old. But when it's not frozen it runs pretty fast. It is a HP pavilon 706n. Thanks for your help. This is a photo I took of what it looks like when it freezes. However these crazy boxes only show up when it freezes I'd say <10% of the time. Thanks again.

Edited by hamluis, 18 November 2011 - 03:31 PM.
Added emphasis to comment.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

You did consider system overheating...and check that?

Try replacing the PSU temporarily?

Louis

#3 TheILLST

TheILLST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

I did consider overheating. But I removed all the side panels to the tower and all the fans are working seemingly fine, and the problem will occur on the first boot of the day. Can it overheat within 10 minutes?

#4 kbit

kbit

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:06 PM

computers can overheat in seconds. but i think your computer simply runs out of resoures or your cpu simply can`t keep up { services , apps , browsers , anti-virus/spyware/malware and then streaming video}
use taskmanager and see how much or how hard your cpu is working. i play with a few computers {old > new} and i know xp strains the cpu with all the crap that is running BEFORE you start doing anything. some apps also eat ram fast {browsers with many tabs for one } So I would try fine tuning first.{shuttimg off start up items, etc.}

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:03 AM

<<The computer also will often freeze on startup as soon as the start button and tray icons start loading.>>

Doesn't sound like a resource issue to me.

Louis

#6 zeyzey017

zeyzey017

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:45 AM

what your computer spec?

explore your mind

#7 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/img0764d.jpg/sr=1

Does this Warcraft :inlove:
But it seems you have bad VGA :whistle:

Can it overheat within 10 minutes?

Off course. It could less than 10 minutes.

<<The computer also will often freeze on startup as soon as the start button and tray icons start loading.>>

Doesn't sound like a resource issue to me.

Louis

It could be resource issue you know :blush:
Btw, from where you quote < >? I couldn't find it on this topic?

Mod Edit: I made it bold in initial post :) ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 18 November 2011 - 03:32 PM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#8 TheILLST

TheILLST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:45 PM

That picture is just one that looks similar not my computer. But it only will freeze on start up i'd say <5% of the freezes. It's usually after I have to hard reboot after another freeze. I can be on websites like this almost all day with no problem. Again, go to play a flash video, or navigate graphically/flash intense sites and it's sure to freeze. I don't think it's a resource problem. I open the task manager once in a while, and I don't ever peak at 100% cpu usuage. I've had it open right as it's froze and it wasn't at 100% it was probably somewhere less than 20. I'm running the VGA through a switch box to my TV monitor. Would that have something to do with it? Again, the major tell tale sign is all internet video cause a freeze within 5 minutes no matter what. Once in a while Ill be able to watch for about 10 minutes but very rarely? What kind of specs would you need to know? Everything is stock on this hp pavilon a706n. I did buy a new video card after the problem was occuring, but it has had no effect positive or negative, just same. It's a ATI Rage 128VR 32MB PCI VGA Video Card.

Edited by TheILLST, 18 November 2011 - 08:49 PM.

#9 TheILLST

TheILLST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:47 PM

I added a screen shot of my computer screen under attachments. Hopefully you guys can find it.

Attached Files

• Attached File  WTF.jpg   85.11KB   4 downloads

#10 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:52 AM

Could you read this.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00232946&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=432777
And please tell does this was your Computer or not?
If yes, that means you have a AGP 8x slot not PCIE Slot. and your new VGA is PCIE slot.

From you new pic. I think the problem is between.
1. VGA.
2. Monitor.
3. Monitor Cable that connect you Desktop with monitor.
4. Display Refresh Rate too high / low.
5. Wrong VGA Clock (if you OC it).

In the future, If you attached a picture that not from your computer please tell it.

@Louis.
Thanks for the edit :thumbsup:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#11 TheILLST

TheILLST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:07 AM

I haven't checked the specs yet. I will later today hopefully. But I will say this. I have dealt with many issues and done much tweaking on many computers. One thing I have never nor quite understood is overclocking and all that clock speed stuff. No idea how to set/change it, or even find it. However, I have never needed to look into it until now. Also, display refresh rate isn't fresh in my mind either. Anyway, Ill check the specs and post on it later today. Thanks guys

#12 triad_cowboy

triad_cowboy

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

If you suspect its a over heating problem try...
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
and download the lastest version of Speedfan. Information is also available there on what speedfan is and does.
If it is a good cleaning is in order :)

Other possible causes could be a bad RAM stick or sticks, or other hardware (Motherboard) that could be going bad.

#13 TheILLST

TheILLST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:35 AM

abauw link to my computer is the correct one. I looked into clock speed a little and my bios wont let me change it. No my card is not a PCI express card. I don't have that slot even available on this computer. It is a standard PCI video card and is working right now. Like I stated before the video card is not the problem both the stock and new one (listed above) experience the same problem. No worse no better/

#14 TheILLST

TheILLST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:35 AM

abauw link to my computer is the correct one. I looked into clock speed a little and my bios wont let me change it. No my card is not a PCI express card. I don't have that slot even available on this computer. It is a standard PCI video card and is working right now. Like I stated before the video card is not the problem both the stock and new one (listed above) experience the same problem. No worse no better/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users