Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Android malware seeing dramatic growth

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

Mobile phones running on Google's Android operating system are experiencing a "malware epidemic," with the amount of malicious software having risen nearly fivefold since July, according to a post by the security company Juniper Networks.

More than half of the smartphones sold worldwide in the third quarter of the year use Android software, the research firm Gartner said this week. And as the platform grows, so do its malware woes. Cybersecurity firm McAfee reported in August that Android had become the number-one target for malicious software.

See the full article here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/17/android-malware-epidemic-infographic_n_1099220.html

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:37 PM

Popularity = opportunity to attack.

Maybe I should get a Windows Phone 7. Nobody uses those. :P
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:37 PM

Actually Windows Phone 7 is popular. Maybe not as android phones but there are several websites and forums that deal with Windows Phones. I came from 2 of them. Gave up on cell phones cause I could not afford my habbit for them.
Posted Image

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

I was joking. Still, the market share is much smaller compared to Android and iOS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Phone#Market_share
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone#Operating_system_market_shares

But then again, it's a Micro$oft product, so you never know how secure it may be. :P

Okay, no more jokes. I promise. :whistle:

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:12 PM

Okay, no more jokes. I promise. :whistle:

Posted Image

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:34 PM

:lmao:

#7 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:34 AM

Maybe I should get a Windows Phone 7. Nobody uses those. :P

I do, I do :)

I think this would be relatively easy to solve - just tighten up the Marketplace rules. You could still allow side-loading and then just blame it on the user or you could stop this completely (like iOS and WP7) but I don't think that would go down well with the Android community.

Edited by Casey_boy, 18 November 2011 - 11:36 AM.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:11 PM

Phew, i am running Symbian on my Nokia E71 but i already had in mind on getting a HTC HD7 which is a Windows Phone :D

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 Minh Triet Pham Tran

Minh Triet Pham Tran

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

A lot of Android malware released in Chinese Android markets.
If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you don't understand the problems and you don't understand the technology. Bruce Schneier

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:52 PM

I love my android phone, I do have a antivirus for it (though I question exactly how efficient it is, it seems to be more of a nieusance) and I have yet to have any malicious software problems-and I have dozens of apps Ive downloaded, both from the market and from third party sites. . .never had a problem. I love my android phone, and don't plan on ever switching. Course, Ive also rooted my phone, so I imagine if I ever do have problems, Ill probably just get rid of that version of android and load my own version onto it. . .

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users