Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop restarting during gaming, any advise?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sam-uk

sam-uk

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:24 AM

Hi Guys,
I have used this site for numerous problems in the past but this time I need some specific advise.

The problem:

My laptop has started switching off when I run any games (after only a few minutes). There is no warning sounds or signs and no post information, it literally turns off. It is not a particularly powerful laptop especially by today’s standards but I only try to run games that used to work perfectly on it. I also use GIS software and photoshop for hours at end with no problems. My bios is also useless and provides no information and no relative customisable options. It even crashes if I try to run a windows "system rating" check.

Spec:
Manufacturer: Hi Grade (Notino D7000 SRA)
Processor: Intel core duo T8300 at 2.4GHz
Installed ram: 3gb
Graphics card: ATI mobility radeon HD 2400 XT

So Far Tried:

Re-seating ram
Re-greasing processors and graphics card
General de-dust (motherboard, fan etc.)
Running HW monitor (nothing seems to overheat, although on suggests motherboard is hot)
Re-installing OS
Running games without battery connected (just via mains power)
Cursing

I am quite certain that although occasionally getting warm that it is not overheating to the degree it used to. What else can I try? Could this be a thermometer issue, given the relatively unknown bios (“phoenix” I think) could I re-flash this with a more useful one showing temperatures etc., if so where do I start?

Any help much appreciated.

Edited by sam-uk, 17 November 2011 - 11:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Miguel Leiva-Gomez

Miguel Leiva-Gomez

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:13 PM

I'm thinking you have a processor that's overwhelmed. Check its temperature using RealTempGT and monitor it. Test the sensors and everything. If your laptop restarts, heat is causing problems.

ETA: I always enjoy the "Cursing" part of the process.

How old is the laptop?

Edited by Miguel Leiva-Gomez, 17 November 2011 - 12:15 PM.

Get on the grind with The Tech Guy!

Posted Image

#3 sam-uk

sam-uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:25 PM

Cheers.

Ah I forgot to ad that, it must be 2008, the original CPU thermo paste was well past its best when I replaced it, but no overheating in HW monitor. I will try the one you suggest now, thanks for that.

#4 Miguel Leiva-Gomez

Miguel Leiva-Gomez

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:10 PM

No problem. Give it a shot and come back if you're still stumped.

Posted Image

#5 sam-uk

sam-uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

Unfortuantly still nothing, both temperatures under 90% load remained okay and the computer did not try to restart (left it running like that for 10 minutes)? It did not push the graphics card though its paces though!?

#6 Miguel Leiva-Gomez

Miguel Leiva-Gomez

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:15 PM

No.. It doesn't benchmark your GFX card. Hey, for all I know, it could be your memory or the graphics card. If you have multiple sticks of memory, try each individual one. Otherwise, I'd try replacing the graphics card with a spare, if you have that luxury.

By the way, have you tried other games? If it's that one game, something in it is causing the problem, or the hard drive is corrupted there.

Posted Image

#7 sam-uk

sam-uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:34 AM

Going to have a little go later on, will post any new results.

Thanks again :thumbup2:

#8 sam-uk

sam-uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:30 PM

Think it most likely the GFX card, but have now given up for the moment and will just resort to buying a new laptop soon, thanks for your help with this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users