Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screens and shut downs on XP

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dragonflydiva

dragonflydiva

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:16 AM

Hello! I am new to this forum, and running XP. I posted on another board but it was suggested I post here as my problem is more general than their specific product.

We recently started getting blue screens that came after a Microsoft update. If we reverted the computer back, it would be fine until the update happened again. We thought we had stopped automatic updates but it still does it. I don't know enough about the updates to know what exactly isn't compatible and stop it.

However, in the past few days, we are having a multitude of other problems. Blue screens of every variety, firefox shut downs, shockwave and adobe crashes. Something is turning off or prohibiting our anti-virus protection. We are running Security Essentials and run Malwarebytes periodically.

Right now it says my Security essentials is updated and my computer is protected but if I get a blue screen, it might not be the same next time I start it. However, it won't let me update any of the programs or run complete scans either in regular or safe mode.

After running DDS, I saw Vuze was still on the computer. That has been removed and I don't see any other programs like it (but I'll admit I'm not the most savvy on which programs those are).

It may just be time to buy a new computer but I'd really rather not. If you can help that would be fantastic!

Shelley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users