Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lacie Rikiki USB 2.0 Suddenly Transferring Slooooow

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sphygmo

sphygmo

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

Hi everybody, I wanted to see if someone could help me with this problem. About a year or so ago I bought a LaCie Rikiki USB 2.0 external hard disk (2.5 inch) and I know that file transfer averaged around 35MB/sec. Just recently I noticed that transfer rate slowed down a lot, down to as little as 500KB/sec even, and averaging at around 1.5MB/sec. That is extremely slow for a 2.0 USB disk, considering I have a year-old Dell Inspiron..that and the fact that I didn't use to have this problem until recently. The LaCie still has around 150GB of space, and its maximum is 640 GB give or take. I changed the cables, and nothing happened. I made the disk "perform better" on the hardware options, but nothing. I also tried to defragment but it was not defragmented so I couldn't. I also tried this disk on a different computer with a lot of extra internal drive space but it was still slow and that laptop had XP operating system on it. I really don't want to lose my data, and I am frustrated because if I have to transfer data from this disk I would take ages. It's not fair. Imagine waiting days to transfer 500GB of data? Sucky!

Could anybody suggest anything please? I really don't want to give up yet. Thanks! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

Well...did you try running the chkdsk /r command (or equivalent) on the drive in question?

Go to My Computer...right-click on drive, click Properties. Tools tab...Check Now...put checks in both options, OK.

Check Event Viewer for any errors noted for that drive?

Louis

#3 sphygmo

sphygmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

Yeah, I was hoping I didn't have to do this. I ran this check a couple of times but it took too long so I stopped it. I ran it again just now, and I'll keep you posted. It did encounter bad sectors so, I'm hoping that this will do the trick. Thanks!

#4 sphygmo

sphygmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:53 PM

I did it!!!! It's fasterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. It took me ages to checkdisk and fix errors but it was totally worth it! Thanks hamluis! Kisses.

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:23 AM

sphygmo! I like the name. You wouldn't happen to be a nurse ... by any chance?

I don't wish to rain on your parade ... but ...
  • Some of your files are likely to be corrupt. You won't know which ones, or how many there are, until you try to access each of them.
  • The hard drive is failing and will continue to deteriorate with time and use. All data on the hard drive is in danger of being lost.
If the data on that hard drive is of any consequence, then you should back it up to another good hard drive at the first opportunity. You should then test the hard drive with the appropriate tool. If the damage is as bad as it appears to be, the drive will fail the test, and if so, it should be replaced.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users