Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Obama Downunder.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:48 AM

I would like to share this, because Obama's Visit,athough so brief, was so widely accepted and honoured by most Australians, more so than by any other US President. I think that this really sums it up? Please leave Politica out of this Thread and just think about a World Leader doing his best to calm his Treaty Partners and others that his Country is sustainable and needs their support during trying times.

Obama receives rapturous NT send-off
Doug Conway, AAP Senior Correspondent, AAP November 17, 2011, 7:30 pm

President Barack Obama praised Australian troops as among the toughest in the world as a rapturous send-off from Darwin capped off his whirlwind Australian visit.

The US commander in chief was greeted like a rock star when he appeared with Prime Minister Julia Gillard at Darwin's RAAF base on Thursday.

An estimated 2,000 troops gave him a standing ovation when he arrived and again when he left to board Air Force One bound for Bali and the East Asian summit.

The president's fondness for all things Australian was clear as he greeted his audience in a giant aircraft hangar with the words: "Hello everybody, how are you going?"

He then led the troops in a chant of "Aussie Aussie Aussie" and said, "I enjoyed that. You are all true blue."

He said he was proud to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the ANZUS alliance and couldn't think of a better group to do it with.

"You are the backbone of our countries, some of the toughest people in the world," he said.

Americans and Australians had stood together since World War I, he said, but in a sense Darwin was where the alliance was born.

It was the scene of Australia's own Pearl Harbour, when the city was bombed by Japanese planes in February 1942.

"Against the odds we fought back. We picked ourselves up, dusted ourselves off and rebuilt," he said, going on to score decisive victories in the battle of the Coral Sea, Midway and Milne Bay.

Much more here.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/11768159/obama-receives-rapturous-nt-send-off/

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:08 AM

... Please leave Politica out of this Thread ...

:hysterical:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:20 AM

Thank you for your comment, John Who. It certainly shows that some countries teach the History of the Word better than others, ro their Kids.

I guess Obama is fully aware of that?

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:26 AM

Shows nothing of the sort, Ray.

It is just hard to accept the "assumption" that nothing political is going on with Obama "down under".

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:04 AM

Of cause, any thing a World Leader does is Political. That is not the point here.

We are both fully aware of that, my worry was about the "Local" Politics being used in this.

I am happy to discuss the World Politics being used now.

What Obama has done and will be stil doing will reap heaps of benefits for the US. He has nicely used the ANZUS Treaty in doing so.

Ray.

What is a Dog?

#6 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:27 PM

It was nice to see the president's reception in Australia. Also nice to see an example of two countries that work through their differences and maintain friendly relations through several changes of leadership on both sides. :thumbup2:

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

Rest in peace, Drovers Dog, my friend. Hope we meet in the great beyond someday so we can share some "shrimp on the barbie" & a few tall cold ones.

You are missed, Ray.

Edited by Union_Thug, 14 February 2012 - 07:55 PM.

#8 Marvz

Marvz

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

Is it true? @ union_thug
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, Processor: Phenom II X4 955, Mobo: ASUS M4A89GTD RAM: 8 Gb DDR3, Storage: 1 TB WD, GPU: ASUS ATI 4890 and Saphire 4890 in crossfire, Sound card: Asus Xonar D1, PSU: Cooler Master 750 w , Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

>>>Is it true? @ union_thug<<<

Unfotunately, yes. Sometime last December? I was his friend on Facebook and saw posts from family members indicating he had passed, then BC'er MissPlaced started this thread:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic436091.html

I didn't always see eye-to-eye with Ray, be we enjoyed a relationship of mutual respect. He was a fine genleman, which is rare. RIP my friend.

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

edit. . .oops. we will certainly miss drovers he was an interesting character.

Edited by the_patriot11, 14 February 2012 - 06:56 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#11 Marvz

Marvz

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

Yeah, I agree he was one of the active members in BC especially in "speak easy".
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, Processor: Phenom II X4 955, Mobo: ASUS M4A89GTD RAM: 8 Gb DDR3, Storage: 1 TB WD, GPU: ASUS ATI 4890 and Saphire 4890 in crossfire, Sound card: Asus Xonar D1, PSU: Cooler Master 750 w , Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000

#12 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

Ray is genuinely missed here,I had many very nice conversations with him...sometimes he'd give so much information at one time to try and prove his point that it left me with my eys spinnin in their sockets
like counter clockwise roulette wheel's.. :lmao:

I'm sure that as he looks down here and se's this he's havin a wonderful Laugh...Laugh as much as you want to my dear friend you've earned it!!!

MissPlaced

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users