Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard keys randomly turn into shortcut keys

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Naive

Naive

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:36 PM

Hey guys,

I'm having a really big problem with my keyboard. I'm running windows 7. The problem started about four days ago, I've searched for various ways to solve this problem but I couldn't find any.

The issue is that randomly, my keyboard will stop typing keys and every time I hit a key, instead of typing a key, it would act as if I was hitting a shortcut. Such as, when it happens i hit the "F" key and the tools options come up. This happens on every windows even on MSN messenger, I hit my keys and it hits shortcut keys for the window I'm on.

I would be using my computer for a while and the keys would work fine but then a little later, somethings 30 minutes sometimes an hour or two, randomly they turn into shortcut keys. Every key i hit, I tried a new keyboard but it seems to happen also. I don't get the issue, I've scanned fully using malwareBytes, MCAffee, and Advanced system pro, but it's still happening. It's really frustrating and annoying when it does happen. I've turned my keyboard off and on, re sync'd. I'm starting to lean more towards it being a virus or something that messed with my settings somehow.

Malwayre Bytes did find something while scanning

files\Spigot\wtxpcom\components\widgitoolbarff.dll (Adware.WidgiToolbar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

I'm really stumped here, I haven't tried un-installing my keyboard & re installing it but Idk what good that would do, if when I plugged my other keyboard in, it installed a new one but the issue was still happening.

Thank you for your time

Edited by Naive, 17 November 2011 - 12:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Naive

Naive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:35 AM

I would also like to add that, when this occurs. I have to restart my computer for the keyboard to work correctly. It's wireless & I've tried a wired keyboard also, it's the same issue.

Also when this happens, while on the internet. Every time I click a link or the internet like "home" "news" anything at all on the internet even an image, it won't go to it but instead it will download the data into my computer... It's very strange & I'm completely stumped on what to do. Or to even search this on google for other similar issues, I don't even know how I would go around to search that. Or what I would type in the search bar. This happens with both Firefox & google chrome. Even outside the internet in just my desktop, it's impossible to type even on notepad.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

Hello, I believe we will need a deeper look. Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Include a link back to this topic.

Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Naive

Naive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:32 AM

Boopme, Thank you very much for your response.

My computer happened to be touch screen so I was able to get into the recovery settings, I then did a full factory reset. But again the problem was still persistent. I looked more into it through the touch screen keypad, and I noticed that the computer had kept hitting "ALT" Alt keys were somehow stuck, I don't know how this came to happen. I tried different keyboards and they all seemed to have the ALT key stuck for some reason.

I disconnected the blue tooth services on start-up, by MSCONFIG. Plugged in a new keyboard, and now the problem seems to be gone. So it was the blue tooth services, with the wireless keyboard causing the problem. Must of been some setting that was swapped which I don't know how to fix but that's okay because I'm able to use a different keyboard with the blue-tooth settings off. (this keyboard is wired)

Thank you again, boopme :) and if anyone has come across the blue-tooth problem with their "ALT" keys stuck or any other key, please reply if there is a way to fix it.

Thank you.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for posting back the solution. :thumbup2:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users