Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trading /selling a computer??

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 linked_up

linked_up

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:15 PM

Am i liable for anything someone does on a computer that was sold or given to someone else? I know that computers have a identification system (I'm not sure what its called or how it works) when you purchase a new computer and set it up for the first time..Am I forever tied to it {computer} or is there a way to unregister it? I want to give my computer to my granddaughter,what happens if she or anyone else uses it for illegal activity..I plan on doing a system recovery of the harddrive to remove my personal info.will that remove any registration info I have entered on the computer?? Do I need to replace the harddrive- would prefer not to do that..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:25 PM

What sort of possible "liability" do you attach to your computer?

A computer is like any other tool, as far as that goes. It's not an auto where insurance is required and personal liability accrues to daily use of the auto.

There are routine procedures for changing the name of the owner on a system...I've never heard of MS being interested in such, other than to protect use of the programs they license to users. I know of no one else who would be interested in such, other than spammers and those who collect data on users for advertising usage/purposes.

Louis

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:36 AM

Certain Brand names such as Dell have a process to transfer ownership if you are that worried about it. Normally it is irrelevant unless the computer is under warranty then you might want to transfer ownership.

Otherwise when you gift it just have them sign that they are the current owner.

You are worrying needlessly IMO. When you should be worried is when someone else uses your computer using your internet connection. If they do something illegal in that situation it can be traced back to your IP address and then to you.

I avoid all these problems with one simple rule "Nobody uses my computer" Once I wipe and reload and pass on it isn't mine and I don't worry.

System recovery should wipe anything of yours.

In NJ for example if I sell a car I not only sign over the title, I have them sign that they bought it and then deliver the car, pull the plates and registration and take them with me. If they do something illegal I have their signature and drivers license information and have verified where they live by delivering the car.

Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 17 November 2011 - 11:38 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 linked_up

linked_up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm not all that worried about giving away the computer, Esp. to someone I know. Just wanted some unbiased opinions. TKS... Just out of curiosity, Would you ever buy used computer? what If you cant verify the sellers ownership..

Edited by linked_up, 17 November 2011 - 06:04 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

<<Would you ever buy used computer? what If you cant verify the sellers ownership..>>

I have bought refurbished computers...from reputable retailers. I have bought used computer components...from forum acquaintances I trusted and respected.

Aside from those instances...I don't believe in paying money for something that someone wants to get rid of...and which may have issues that I am unaware of.

I would never buy anything from someone where I had any doubt as to the right of that person/entity to "sell" me that item.

If I did purchase a system from someone, I would make sure that I also obtained any manuals and installation/driver disks...which relate to that system...and I would test the operational status of the system long before I thought about paying for it.

Louis

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:11 AM

<<I plan on doing a system recovery of the harddrive to remove my personal info.will that remove any registration info I have entered on the computer?? Do I need to replace the harddrive- would prefer not to do that>>

no need to change hdd, and when you do the recovery it will wipe all info now on it ,when prompted for a name for the computer just call it "Owner "

I have been selling quality used computers for years ,and see nothing wrong with doing so, all are legit and i make sure they work properly ,and even offer 90 days money back on them ,not everyone can afford [or needs a new one ] a brand new computer

Edited by hamluis, 18 November 2011 - 03:37 PM.
Corrected my mistake ;).

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 linked_up

linked_up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:38 PM

OK people.. Thanks for the input. We'll call this post closed...

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:57 AM

<<I plan on doing a system recovery of the harddrive to remove my personal info.will that remove any registration info I have entered on the computer?? Do I need to replace the harddrive- would prefer not to do that>>

no need to change hdd, and when you do the recovery it will wipe all info now on it ,when prompted for a name for the computer just call it "Owner "

I have been selling quality used computers for years ,and see nothing wrong with doing so, all are legit and i make sure they work properly ,and even offer 90 days money back on them ,not everyone can afford [or needs a new one ] a brand new computer

I would give 7 day return with a 20% restock fee and 6 months warranty. The restock fee would be for two reasons.
1. To weed out the "I only need it for a few days buyer"
2. To cover the cost of wiping the drive and reloading it just in case they caught a Virus.

I suspect you are lucky. Around here there are people that would abuse the process. They would buy to use while there computer was being repaired elsewhere. And then return yours. I hope you also check to be sure you get back what you sold? I've seen them try to return with less memory or a smaller hard drive etc.

Edited by rotor123, 19 November 2011 - 10:57 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:59 PM

I would give 7 day return with a 20% restock fee and 6 months warranty. The restock fee would be for two reasons.
1. To weed out the "I only need it for a few days buyer"
2. To cover the cost of wiping the drive and reloading it just in case they caught a Virus.

I suspect you are lucky. Around here there are people that would abuse the process. They would buy to use while there computer was being repaired elsewhere. And then return yours. I hope you also check to be sure you get back what you sold? I've seen them try to return with less memory or a smaller hard drive etc.

yeah those type of people live here to,i can spot them a mile away lol

.my 90 days is only if it malfunctions within that time

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:18 AM

So the 90 days is a sort of warranty period then. That makes more sense. I presume you exclude software problems or viruses? My last employer we would on a case by case basis give them one free reload of the OS.

Where I work these days we had to go get a rubber stamp that says "No Return" for things that can be abused. We had customers argue that they didn't read the print on the back before they opened it and that they want a full return. Now I explain it and stamp it in front of them. If that makes them not buy then it would have been a return anyway.

One semi shrewd person when we would not take it back left it on the counter and disputed the charge claiming they had returned it. We did get paid since they had no receipt showing it was returned but it was aggravating.

Edited by rotor123, 21 November 2011 - 10:20 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#11 kenith

kenith

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:12 PM

how about selling it without the hdd? that way you don't have to worry about liability...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users