Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems with chkdsk

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mharrison

mharrison

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:24 PM

my computer was acting weird so I decided I should run chkdsk to scan for disk errors, it made it through the first three stages with no problems, then in stage for it kept finding bad cluster, about ten consecutive, and then I got the bsod, it said something like bad_system_config_info, and now every time it restarts it goes back to chkdsk, and gets to the same spot (15 percent complete. 24478 of 204528 files processed) and just stays there, I booted from the disk and tried to use the windows 7 disk to repair it but it couldn't find anything, I left it alone for a couple hours and when I came back it was at the same spot. has the hard drive failed, or is there another fix I can use?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:52 PM

Hello mharrison,

Chkdsk must be allowed to complete. You may have to wait overnight or longer. It may eventually tell you that it found and corrected errors or that it can't repair the drive.

It would be prudent to also run the Diagnostic Test software for your hard drive:
  • Go to http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm
  • Download the DOS version and install onto a floppy disk or burn the "Iso" image to a CD.
  • Can't burn an "Iso" image? Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then select "iso" file location.
  • Restart your computer with the Diagnostic Disk. (For how to set CDROM drive to boot first, go here)

If the drive is failing, won't boot, and you need to backup important files:
View a tutorial: Recover files from Windows XP hard disk using Puppy Linux.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 mharrison

mharrison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

thanks a ton for your help! Any hard drive suggestions if the drive did fail?

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

thanks a ton for your help! Any hard drive suggestions if the drive did fail?

Hi -
Depends on a few things -
Please list the Make and Model of computer, so we can check the most likely HDD for you.
Also do you know the approximate age and use of the system. E.G. Mostly light home use, or commercial (company) use.

If you can run the tests given above by Artrooks, you may have a better idea.
Was the system making any "unusual noises" like grinding or whirring sounds (not always loud, just minor) ??
It is not usually too hard to replace a HDD if it is very faulty, but that is the last option you hope for.

Thanks -

#5 mharrison

mharrison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:12 PM

my system is custom built, something I probably should have mentioned before, but its not even a year old, it has an i7-2600k, Asus p67 sabertooth motherboard, g.skill rip jaws memory(8gb), Asus engts450 graphics card, its used for a lot of things, some gaming, watching movies, doing schoolwork... There weren't any noises, but I'm wondering if vibrations may have ruined it, would that cause any noises? Before I got stuck in chkdsk,it ran weird, sometimes very fast others it would freeze and crash.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:44 AM

Before I got stuck in chkdsk,it ran weird, sometimes very fast others it would freeze and crash.

That was likely to have been caused by the same problem you are now having with the hard drive.

Please let us know the make and model of the hard drive so we can ensure you use the correct testing tool. If you have more than one hard drive connected please let us know also ... along with make and model.

I take it that you have a Win 7 installation disk that you can use to install Windows 7 on a new hard drive if that turns out to be necessary. Is that correct? Do you have any data/files on the current problematic hard drive that you may wish to recover if you cannot repair the existing Windows system?

Edit to add ...
You said: "I'm wondering if vibrations may have ruined it"
It is possible. What vibrations might you be thinking of?

Edited by AustrAlien, 17 November 2011 - 01:47 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 mharrison

mharrison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

I only have one hard drive connected, its a 1tb western digital caviar black, partitioned into two drives, one for the OS, the other for everything else. I have the windows 7 disk, and the vibrations were because of a new washing machine that when it hit spin cycle shook the house, stuff in the upstairs next to my computer would rattle and shake, so I moved it but I may have been to late. Thanks for the help!

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:27 PM

Check your system HDD with the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic utility ...

:step1: Go to the WD Caviar Black (SATA & SAS) Downloads page and download Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)
  • From the two files available, choose the .ISO version.

:step2: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
    Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • Run the Short/Quick test and then the Long/Extended test.
  • There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive: If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
  • Please let us know the results of the tests.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 mharrison

mharrison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:02 PM

Tried using Western Digital's disk check, it could not even find the disk.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

Check to make sure that both data and power cables are firmly plugged in. Then start the computer and look in the BIOS Setup Menu to see if the hard drive is detected and reported there. If so, what does it report?

If the hard drive is not seen by the BIOS ... there is nothing else that you can do. Scrap it and move on.
Edit: re-reading the thread I noticed "not even a year old" .... so you should be able to return the hard drive to the manufacturer and get a replacement.

Another WD brand hard drive would be as good a choice as any other. For reliability as a system drive, I suggest it to be preferable to avoid the larger size hard drives and stick to a 500 GB size.

Then perform a clean install of Windows ...

Edited by AustrAlien, 18 November 2011 - 04:31 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users