Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1boot,,,2boot,,,3boot Connect

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 skydiver666

skydiver666

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:27 AM

Hello:

I have a Inspiron 8600 running XP home. I have my router all hooked up properly, however it takes about 15 minute to connect to the internet. When I start it up it immediately finds a signal and the strength is good. Weather bug gets its initial temperature but if I try the internet or my outlook express it wont connect. Then I see the signal strength disappear and it says there no connection. I restart it once and it wont find a signal. Restart it one more time and bam theirs the internet,Ö No delay. This is consistent as clock work thatís why its driving me crazy. A couple things to note. If I do just start the comp once and leave it for 15 minutes at least, it will find the connection. Its works the same way for over 100 boots now. 1,2,and then the third time it connects. No variances,Ö it never finds a connection the second time. Always works on the 3rd try. I talked to the previous owner of this comp and they seem to remember waiting forever for the internet too, however the problem was never fixed. One last thing is that I have tried other comps from the same router and they are instant connect so I have eliminated my cable and router. Any info would be great you guys always seem to save me hours of troubleshooting.

P.S. Someone said try removing weatherbug, but thats allready been eliminated

Jeff Bidigare

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:40 AM

Are you using wireless? You eliminated the Router/modem. Did you test the NIC? What brand and model are your router and modem?
What antivirus antispyware and firewall are you running? Have they detected a virus/malware lately?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:45 AM

Though of acouple of more avenues. Check the router and modem website for firmware updates. Have you deleted the NIC from from the Device Manager and allow Windows to reinstall?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:22 PM

You wrote in your email:

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have a D-Link 2.4 router, Motorola sb5100 modem (Comcast stock). I use Xoftsoft Spy ware and MacAfee Anti virus and firewall. I just recovered the system from a ton a viruses. Well I didnít but the Notebook was completely wipeout and reloaded professionally. I run my Spy ware and anti virus obsessive compulsive. You mentioned the NIC? Unclaimed territory for me so Iím not sure what that is.

Thanks for the help
Feel free to email me if you want bluesydive2@comcast.net
Donít worry Iím just a college kid killing countless hours with troubleshooting

Thanks Jeff

You mentioned this condition exsisted with the previous owner in POST #1. In your PM to me you stated this continues to happen even with a clean insttall of XP. This leader me to believe you have a hardware or driver issue, not a operating system issue. Did you use, or do you know if your technican use the drivers that can with the computer or did they/you install fresh drivers? Are you using any accelerator software or and on third party high speed software (AOL,Yahoo,..)?
Have you had a chance to investigate the firmware updates I suggested?
The NIC is you ethernet adapter on your computer. A wifi card or build in. PCICMIA card wired ethernet. USB ethernet adapter.

Network Interface Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users