Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Dying Or Mobo Kicking The Bucket?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Vvardenfell

Vvardenfell

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:18 AM

Hey all!

First time posting on this forum. I'm having some trouble with my computer. When I boot it up after having it off overnight, the computer gets stuck at the bootscreen where the computer is recognizing the primary/secondary master and slave drives. Specifically, when the computer tries to recognize my C drive, the drive makes a nice little "crunching sound" and the computer may or may not recognize it. I also have a slave drive hooked up (that is much larger and newer) that is not recognized by the computer either. I can reboot the computer usually once or twice, and the computer will then recognize the drives and go along it's merry way. Once on it works beautifully.

Now, while I realize that the noises coming from my C drive are bad, it has been happening for quite some time. I'm thinking that the problem is actually my Mobo, since the computer is not recognizing either of my two drives.

But, I wanted to get some other opinions before I go out and fork out the money to replace/upgrade my Mobo/processor.

Thanks much!! :thumbsup:

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:53 AM

If you suspect your motherboard is not identifing your drives, the first thing is to replace the motherboard battery.
If you suspect a dying drive the first thing would be to backup your Data. ASAP. You can use the S.M.A.R.T. Disk Drive Utility in Digital Dolly. You will have to download into a folder, unzip, and burn an .iso imade to a CD.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:13 AM

May I add that Leurgy wrote a great hard drive post that listed hard drives and manufacturer's diagnostic software. If you know the make of the drive, take a look:

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools

Take care

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users