Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashing/Trouble Starting Up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 worst_computer_ever

worst_computer_ever

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:03 PM

I've had this recurring problem over the past couple years. When I'm using my computer, or when it is on but I'm not using it, it will crash and try to restart. This could happen after 2 minutes, or 2 hours, sometimes longer. When the computer tries to restart itself, or when I turn it on after a successful shutdown, it will not start up very often. Usually there will be no monitor response at all, but the computer itself will make some seemingly "working" noises. Sometimes it will get to the blue screen and freeze up. I'd say 1/25 times I press the power button on my computer, it will work, sometimes after trying unplugging it, but that doesn't seem to be perfectly correlated with a better startup success rate. Lately, maybe 1 out of 25 times, I'll see "RV370SE P/N 113-AA14006-103 128MB 324e/196m CRT+TU Bios" then "Bad BIOS checksum. Starting BIOS recovery. Checking for floppy... CD ROM not found!!!..."

This problem used to happen, then I did a system recovery, and it went away. Before it starting crashing orginally, I had a few viruses, and tried getting rid of them using MBAM and other programs. The viruses would get better, then worse, then the crashing/startup problems. I've ran system recovery several times over the last few years and it has always seemed to fix things. This latest time I ran it, I haven't had any classic virus type problems, but the crashing/startup problems came back after two days. I don't know all that much about computers, so I could use any help I can get.

Thanks,
Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

<<Bad BIOS checksum>>

System manufacturer and model?

Off hand, I'd say that you may have a bad CMOS battery.

Louis

#3 worst_computer_ever

worst_computer_ever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:27 PM

It's an HP Pavilion from 2002.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

Hi -
As hamluis asked -
"It's an HP Pavilion from 2002" , can cover many models / versions - Do you know the model number at all ??
Then if you do not know where the CMOS battery is located, we might find a users manual on line for you. :)

Thank You -

#5 worst_computer_ever

worst_computer_ever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

HP Pavilion d1000y. Is there any risk of losing files if I change the battery?

#6 worst_computer_ever

worst_computer_ever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:58 PM

Also, I haven't tried doing anything BIOS related at all (that I am aware of). I really don't know what I'm doing and what risks I'm taking trying to reset it or restore it or whatever.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:11 PM

<<Is there any risk of losing files if I change the battery?>>

Files are on the hard drive. Generally, files can only be lost from a hard drive...if the drive/partition is damaged, malware is present, or user is attempting a transfer of some sort which abnormally aborts. None of these things...have anything to do with CMOS batteries.

The CMOS battery is what allows Windows to properly recognize hardware and settings for the system. Failure to replace the battery when such needs to be done...well, I've personally experienced a slew of various error messages that were not valid, making it seem as if the motherboard/RAM/hard drive each had problems...when there was nothing wrong with the components..but the CMOS battery needed replaoement.

You can read more at:

Tips for knowing when the CMOS battery is getting weak - by Iowaprodigal - Helium - http://www.helium.com/items/806743-tips-for-knowing-when-the-cmos-battery-is-getting-weak

CMOS Checksum Errors - http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER08-c.html

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/articles/cmosreplace.asp

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users