Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavillion dv6131, won't charge, won't work on AC power

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 41woodie

41woodie

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:49 PM

Computer in question is a 4-5 year old HP Pavillion DV 6131od running xp with all updates available prior to problem. Computer was running fine, popped up low battery even though charger was connected at the time. Shut down computer, charged (I thought) battery for sufficient time, restarted computer. Low battery again!! Changed chargers still no charge.
Removed battery and attempted to run computer on AC cord alone without success.When both batteries were completely dead the computed shut down. Does not operate on AC alone with or without battery installed and will not charge batteries. The light at the charging connection comes on but computer appears to not be receiving power for operation or charging.
I switched the chargers to another HP and they appear to be working properly so I'm guessing that the problem is within the computer not the charging units.

Edited by hamluis, 16 November 2011 - 02:50 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

the power cord worked on another laptop ,so one would have to assume it the power jack connection on the motherboard . like the one in the link
http://www.notebookworks.net/DC-POWER-JACK-CONNECTOR-SOCKET-HP-PAVILION-DV6131-p/nbw42-1868.htm

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 41woodie

41woodie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

I appreciate your thoughts on the problem, I agree that the charging cord is not the problem. Does it make any difference that the light on the charging connection lights properly when the cord is plugged in? The link that you provided shows the port but is there more to the complete assembly that should be purchased as a unit. The photo of the item gave the appearance of something that would have to be wired or soldered in place rather than simply plugged in. Many thanks.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:04 AM

according to the link i provided ,its the one for you model laptop .and that it no m,ore pieces ,laptop needs to be taken apart and the jack soldered to the motherboard ,old one removed of course ,not a simple job.

quote=Does it make any difference that the light on the charging connection lights properly when the cord is plugged in

not sure ,im not saying that the jack is defently the problem ,its just the next thing to have checked out ,if the jack is broke away from the motheboard it will not charge the battery ,use something small and gently try and move the small pin inside the jack to make sure its not broke of or loose ,i had one that the pin broke of and the jack had to be replaced .

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 41woodie

41woodie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:09 AM

Thanks I appreciate it, I'll try to determine if the connection is loose or ???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users