Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memorex Cd-rw Can Burn But Not Read It Back?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HelmutBlack

HelmutBlack

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:05 AM

Hey all,

I backed up gobs of info on my pc last night after doing an re-install, welp, I burned 5 cd's worth of stuff, and now my pc can't read it, nor can my pc at work which is different than mine at home. Not sure what's going on here. When I try to open the cd, it hangs forever. If I try to open the cd icon, nothing happens, and then I have to 'end application,' and it looks like explorer goes away as my taskbar dissapears and so do my desktop icons. What in the world is going on? If it's incompatability issues, then why could I burn it in the first place? My drive is a Toshiba Samsung. Can't look up the model number as I'm at work. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:46 PM

What software were you using to burn the cds?

Sometimes you need to "finalize" the cd before it can be read.

Also, depending on the brand you purchased, there are bad cd-r's out there.

#3 HelmutBlack

HelmutBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:31 PM

Frank,

I just used the XP burning service built in. I purchased Memorex CD-RW's. This further enhances my quest to find affordable online storage. This has happened in the past.

Thanks

#4 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:44 PM

It should still work properly, but you might try a different brand of cds.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:20 PM

Try using a regular CD burning application like, for example, Nero; these seem to be more reliable than the internal MS application.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:23 PM

I at one point had A problem like this exept it was vise-versa. My burner could read but not write. After 2 weeks of confusion from myself and others, I found out that the burner AND the mother board were both going bad. I would check to see if any other devices have any problems reading/writing on your system. If none have any problems then see if the burner will work in another pc. If not then it is likely that you have A bad burner. If you have multiple hardware problems then your motherboard might be going.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#7 HelmutBlack

HelmutBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:11 PM

Ugh. That's a pretty ominous prognosis. I doubt my pc is going. It's barely two and works great. I bet you're right that it's the software, or could be the make of the cd drive isn't liking this brand of cd. I tried another program, CD Burner XP Pro, or something like that and it wouldn't read the disc either. I think it said that the disc wasn't 'joliet' or something. Will have to keep tinkering. Online storage, here I come, 'burned' for the last time.

Thanks all, real nice boards here.

#8 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:19 PM

Are you trying to burn an mp3 cd? If thats so: When you are burning mp3 cds it uses "bridges". That is what "Joliet" is. I have never heard of a computer doing this but, devices in which read mp3 cds (and im not sure if this is only for mp3 cds but that is the only instance in which i've had this problem) can only read the cd if they have A certain Bridge.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#9 HelmutBlack

HelmutBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:01 PM

No, I'm just backing up music but as data, not a music cd. I selected the option to burn it like data too. Don't get this at all though.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:49 PM

To address the online store comment. Have you though about a "One touch" external hard drive, or backup software and a extenarl hard drive?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:23 PM

Hello, I was wondering with all that is going on with these disks, Have youtried reading them in another computer to see if there is actually data on them? I have seen disks that were burnt and could not be read on the system they were burnt on and could be read on another computer.

If this is the case that they can be read on another system here is something to try. Oh one thing on this - If you are not sure you can do this HAVE SOMEONE ELSE DO IT THAT HAS EXPERIENCE.

Every CD-ROM drive has what they call Firmware - This is not the driver for the drive. Firmware is located on the actual drive in a special chip and has to be burnt to the chip. This is a very seious undertaking and if anything goes wrong zap no more drive.

You have to get the firmware revision number from your cd-rom drive - it is located in Device Manager and then go to the cd-rom manufacturer's web site and download the software and get it installed.

After you do this you should remove the regualr driver and reinstall it - This is done after you reboot from installing the firmware.

This should fix your problem

cya l8r
ThorXP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users