Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loud Computer Noise

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 eyebrowns

eyebrowns

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

This is really troubling to me. I've had this computer for only 2 months and just yesterday, it started to suddenly make loud noises. I was trying to install VOBSUB yesterday and it installed... but the screen was frozen. I couldn't exit out of the window. SO I used task manager and got myself out of it then tried again - but happened again of course. Then all of a sudden there was this deep, loud motorlike noise coming from my computer. My old computer's fans were always loud whenever it was on but this was different.

I turned it on this morning and got the usual loud fan sound... then that deep low noise for maybe 2 minute. I'm really scared about this. What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:49 AM

First, a word of caution...
Any work that you or someone else does to the system may void your warranty- unless you bought it used. You should check with the manufacturer to see what is covered and for how long. Second, we'll need more information about the computer. Edited for spelling

Edited by Required Field, 16 November 2011 - 10:50 AM.

"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#3 eyebrowns

eyebrowns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-1TB-p6813w/16595252

This is the computer I have. I haven't had anyone look at it or do any work on it, but I'm wondering if it even needs any? Could this be a minor problem or do things like this foretell bigger issues?

#4 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

That depends on the noise you hear and where it's coming from. Fans are easily replaced, and relatively cheap. Power supply units will cost a bit more, and hard drives are getting much more expensive since the tsunami. Still, if it is a mechanical problem, and it's new, warranty should cover it. Walmart won't take it back if it's been more than 15 days, but HP should be able to help you. Beyond that, we'll need to determine what the noise is and where it's coming from.
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#5 eyebrowns

eyebrowns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:22 AM

So how should I go about that? When I turn on the computer, just kneel down by it to try and see where it's coming from?

#6 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:04 PM

Start by removing the side panel. You may need a screw driver, but I think it just has a thumbscrew. Then see if you can pinpoint whether the noise is coming from the case fan in the rear, the fan on the heatsink/processor, or from one of the drives in the front.

#7 Miguel Leiva-Gomez

Miguel Leiva-Gomez

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:26 PM

If you have no idea how to remove your side panel and check the computer, I suggest only verifying your computer like Required Field said but not replacing anything yourself. Get someone to replace it once you've identified the problem.

I have a question, though... Does your computer start making noises when Windows is loading, or does it do this when you just turned it on?
Get on the grind with The Tech Guy!

Posted Image

#8 eyebrowns

eyebrowns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:17 PM

The noise has stopped. I haven't heard it since yesterday morning. When I turned it on again in the afternoon, I heard nothing. And this morning it was fine.

#9 Miguel Leiva-Gomez

Miguel Leiva-Gomez

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:21 PM

I think it's because a cable was interfering with the computer's fans. The cable must have moved when the fans started again.
Get on the grind with The Tech Guy!

Posted Image

#10 eyebrowns

eyebrowns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:20 AM

I turned it on again and I heard it. D: I only really hear it during start up. Should I still pop it open and see if there is a cable that's interfering with anything? The sound is seriously bothersome. lol

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:19 PM

I've had this computer for only 2 months

If you start to pull things apart, that will void your warranty - - - If it was new there is a 12month warranty on it -
Take it back FIRST -

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:34 PM

Take/send it back...you have some sort of hardware problem.

Louis

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

One other cause of noise when the computer is cold that goes away when warm.

Bad fan. Since the computer is still under warranty I'd use the warranty. Bad fans can make a kind of moan when cold until they warm up and the lubricant that is in the bearing softens up.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#14 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:06 PM

First, a word of caution...
Any work that you or someone else does to the system may void your warranty- unless you bought it used. You should check with the manufacturer to see what is covered and for how long.

Wal-Mart will only take it back if it is less than 15 days old- so you're past your two-week mark there. Again, check with the manufacturer to see what the terms of your warranty are. They may expect you to pay for shipping, and if that's the case, replacing a case fan on your own is much cheaper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users