Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SUDDENLY NO SOUND

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:40 AM

Jinxed today - everything I touch it seems.

I got a new laptop because my other one expired. Just started using it this week and its just like the one that "died"

The sound has been too low and I remembered Real-Tek (which is on my computer speaker system) had a way to adjust that worked on my other now-deceased computer.

I adjusted the sound as seemed suitable/louder. It asked me a question about letting the system decide what works best and for some reason I think thats where the problem arose but that's just my thought/opinion.

The icon at the bottom of the screen (task bar? I forget what you call it) shows sound on and as high as it will go.

I can find nowhere that indicates turning off or muting the speakers and I'm at a loss what happened?

Any suggestions where to look? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:51 AM

I'm looking at the Real Tech High Definition Audio Properties and it says the system is working properly.

I updated driver.

Device Description: High Definition Audio Device

I'm totally clueless what happened?

Thanks - for any tips info

Anne

#3 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:30 AM

Hi Anne,

If yours is the same as mine .....

Left click on the speaker icon ( bottom right of screen )
There is a "Mute" button - make sure this isn't activated.

Click on the "Mixer" option
Again - check that the "Mute" options are not activated.
You can adjust the volume from here too.

#4 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:30 AM

Thanks Ken-B - I have checked those items and verified that the mute button is not activated and thus not the cause of the problem with sound on my computer. I was just online and listened to a video which is barely audible if you strain your ears (and I have good hearing) so I'm still not sure the problem but thanks for trying anyway. :)

#5 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

Hi Anne

Are you using the internal speakers or have you added external speakers ?

If you can just about hear the sound - it could be a setting on "Minimum" .........

#6 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:07 AM

Hi Anne

Are you using the internal speakers or have you added external speakers ?

If you can just about hear the sound - it could be a setting on "Minimum" .........

I'm using the internal speakers only. They appear to be set at 100 % There must be some kind of secondary thing interfering. I try to do troubleshooting on the speakers and come up with no suggestions. Thanks Ken.

Edited by kcsummer, 16 November 2011 - 10:09 AM.

#7 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

You know, this is getting really nutty. I was doing my things online when all of a sudden I've got sound again, about like it was to start out with, not loud enough but hearable if you listen. So I think well that's better, now, again with having done nothing that I know of its bag to so low its useless.

My son teases me sometimes about living in the bermuda triangle of electronics but I'm starting to think he might be onto something. I can't get TV here because Im in a "blue and red zone". Well I get it with cable but otherwise, no TV this is after the digital switch thing. Sigh x 2.

I'm going to try to get ahold of MSI - I'm desperate - have to be to try to call someone and play the Push 1 Push 2 game.

I'm getting grouchy - sorry,

Edited by kcsummer, 16 November 2011 - 11:18 AM.

#8 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

What is the make and model number of your computer ?

Which Operating System are you using ?

#9 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:08 PM

What is the make and model number of your computer ?

Which Operating System are you using ?

MSI A6200

Windows7

Product Number: 9S7-16818D-689
Posted Image A6200-689US Intel® Pentium® Dual Core Processor P6100Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit
Upgrade to Genuine Windows® 7 Professional recommended
• Classic Cross-Hatch Design • 15.6" 16:9 wide screen display • 4GB (2G x 2) DDR3 memory plus 320GB hard drive • LED power-saving backlight technology • 802.11b/g/draft n Wireless LAN • HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) Output • MSI Exclusive ECO Engine Power Management System

Edited by kcsummer, 16 November 2011 - 12:36 PM.

#10 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

Hi Anne

Did you try option 3 here?
http://www.msi.com/service/download/

I am thinking there may be a driver issue.

===============

Start > type in ....devmgmt.msc ....ENTER
Click the + next to Sound - Video - Game Controllers.
Are there any yellow exclamation marks?

What, exactly, is listed?

#11 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:57 AM

Hi Anne

Did you try option 3 here?
http://www.msi.com/service/download/

I am thinking there may be a driver issue.

===============

Start > type in ....devmgmt.msc ....ENTER
Click the + next to Sound - Video - Game Controllers.
Are there any yellow exclamation marks?

What, exactly, is listed?

Some days it just goes this way. Non-stop STUFF that all backed up previously and picked today to step in. <_<

Sorry - was "distracted" from what you were telling me.

I did take out some time to register my computer with MSI but they refuse to help me until I send them a copy of my purchase receipt since they are going by the serial number and when it was manufactured and they say it is out of warranty already. BUT if I can prove I just bought it they will help. So my scanner is down (I told you I suspect living in the bermuda triangle of the electronic world) couldn't scan but got one from the store now have to try to get them back again to see if I can send it online and be accepted.

Meantime I did download the Live Update you suggested and was reading your recommendations about where to go with that when other obligations arose. But now I am back, its late (3:30 a.m.) and my mind is fuzzy so I will try this again late morning, been a long day need recharging (me).

Appreciate your help Ken-B, sorry for the interruption since you were nice enough to help. I will be back later (or earlier depending how you look at it). :mellow: If you have time to check here later that would be great as I do believe you are onto something worth pursuing. By then I will hopefully be up to speed with what you sent. :lol:

#12 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:47 AM

I don't see anything at all there, sound or anything else that has a yellow exclamation, no red, no nothing.

As for what I see there is tons of stuff and I wish I knew how to get an image capture but I don't, not on that screen.

Here's some of it

Intel Display Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio ( I have checked both of those and nothing out of ordinary, all set with volume at 100 percent.

Those are the only two related directly to sound.

The way it is now, is audible again but barely and I have good hearing so nothing there.

Of course I have windows audio and itunes but those just use the above right?

Edited by kcsummer, 17 November 2011 - 11:41 AM.

#13 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:05 AM

I was wrong, this print is so tiny on this screen I almost missed it, there is a High Definition Audio Controller which has a red X over it. This is separate from the Realtek High Definition Audio Controller. Maybe this is the source of the problem? See what I can find out and also look more at that stuff you sent me, the Live thing.:clapping:

5 minutes later - Crazy Deal - Back to Check and it is Not Checked with a red mark anymore or else its the wrong one, not the one I saw?

Oh still only half awake - where I saw the high def audio controller was at the top on the horizontal menu bar - it is like a command toolbar for things like Disable, Check for Updates, and so forth so it is not anything wrong with the system after all. Its just an X over a command icon to disable whatever your cursor happens to be resting on.

So it isn't that either it seems.

Edited by kcsummer, 17 November 2011 - 11:40 AM.

#14 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:52 PM

Hi Anne,

Desperate measures ...

I assume that the sound used to work until recently ?

If this is the case try a System Restore.

Firstly download ERUNT from here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

Install and run it.
Create a registry backup - just follow the screen prompts.
(This is just in case ...)

Next ...

Start > type in .....system restore .....ENTER
Follow the prompts and select a date from before the start of your problem.

If you are prompted - do not use the Windows suggested restore date - you need to select your own.

Please be aware:
System restore will revert your system to the settings stored at the chosen date.
Your data, photos, files etc will be fine.
Any critical updates or installed software since the selected date will need to be re-installed.

#15 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

Yes, Ken, it did once upon a time. :whistle: Yes, that's an option, isn't it, the system restore thank you for reminding me and the extra tips.

I have been major stressed the past few days and it is not helped by MSI (Micro Star International). I used to have a good opinion about the tech support/customer service but no longer.

The first time I called they asked me to "hold a minute" which turned into 15 minutes with no one ever getting back on line so I finally hung up. I sent them a note complaining which was unsympathetic they just said the product is a year old so its out of warranty. I said it can't be out of warranty I just bought it. so they told me to call "Jane" and get a copy of my purchase receipt to her and she will take care of it. Well Jane's extension never rings you just get a call tree/support thing which tells you (again for about 15 minutes) that all their agents are busy so they say leave a message and someone will call you asap so I don't have to wait. So I left a message and so no one called me back so I sent another message to the people who gave me Jane's number and all they did was copy the first message and resend it to me about it being out of warranty and to contact Jane.

I have thought perhaps I will just return it to Office Depot and let them deal with it. If they get enough complaints about MSI they will not carry their product any longer.

I have appointments today so when I get back I will decide what to do, whether to do system restore or return the product. This is starting to feel like a lemon. Ever since I got it, my net / router connection goes down about 3 times a day and "diagnostics" had a whole long report on it but it being technical in nature I don't know what it means.

Thanks for sticking with me on this. I'll note here whatever happens finally.

Anne :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users