I'm running windows XP pro 32 bit with service pack 3 on an HP 8510W notebook workstation.
Last night I was hit by a rather nasty virus, from a source that still remains unknown. It hijacked the list of hosted processes running under SVCHost.exe (no it was not scvhost.exe), and caused ping.exe to repeatedly launch and flood random IP addresses with huge amounts of data. I managed to get rid of this using microsoft security essentials, but a few times before I did this, and now consistently afterward, I have no internet connection. I've tried with several different wireless networks and two different ethernet cables connected to two completely separate networks. I also have another older HP laptop on the same network, which i'm using to type this message.
The general idea of this is as follows:
All network adaptors (this being ethernet, wireless, even iPhone tethering) showing acquiring network address consistently.
0 packets showing as sent / received in any network adaptor's properties, except WiFi which shows 2 both sent and received when I first connect, then stays there.
IP and subnet both set to 0.0.0.0.
doing an ipconfig /renew produces the following: "The RPC server is unavailable."
The remote procedure call service is started when I look under services.msc.
uninstalling and reinstalling devices does nothing.
doing a system restore does nothing.
I noticed earlier that trying to start windows firewall also produced an error 10050: A socket operation encountered a dead network.
Any help with this would be very much appreciated, as this s only a borrowed laptop and is currently my only form of internet access.
Edit: I forgot to mention that running both microsoft security essentials and malwarebytes had absolutely no effect either.
Edit #2: I just tried entering the IP / subnet / default gateway info manually into the wireless connection's settings. It connects, and claims to work, but I can't actually establish a connection with anything. I can ping my own IP address 192.168.1.125, but I cannot ping google, or even the address of the laptop I'm currently writing from. And of course, loading a web browser and attempting to access these pages results in the standard error. Something major is obviously being blocked.
Edited by hamluis, 16 November 2011 - 08:22 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.