Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:28 AM
Sorry, I wasn't able to read the "before you post" thread since it's making Firefox crash on me for some reason.
Computer runs Windows 7 64-bit, the Home edition
Anyway, my computer is having numerous problems.
1. Google and Yahoo searches automatically redirect me
2. Windows Defender, Windows Security Center, and Windows Firewall are all disabled
3. McAfee Firewall is disabled, and the options to turn features on/off are all greyed out.
4. McAfee keeps popping up saying it's found and removed a trojan (Artemis!C...something I'll post the exact name next time I see the thing)
5. iexplore.exe runs in the background without me asking it to
6. Internet Explorer starts playing sounds in windows that don't exist.
Now, MBAM, McAfee, and Lavasoft Ad-Aware find nothing. Removing cookies, temporary internet files, etc. finds nothing.
I've tracked the problem with the firewalls down using services.msc. Found out that McAfee's firewall is dependent on the Windows Firewall. Windows Firewall is in turn dependent on the Windows Firewall Authorization Driver. Using device manager, the driver has a yellow exclamation point next to it, and I can't get the driver to start. It tells me "Cannot create a file when that file already exists"
Now, I'm not sure what the next step is to hunt down and remove these problems. It seems to me that getting the firewalls operational would be a good start, that might stop the Artemis trojan from trying to attack, but how to do this has gone beyond me.
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.