Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Katrina T.

Katrina T.

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:21 AM

Just a few hours ago i got the system fix trojan, and it had made all my desktop files disappear except for its own fraudulent shortcut. I fixed this by system restoring to 11/11/11 (At least, I think I did) My laptop did send notice that system restore was successfully completed and I believe the trojan should be out of my laptop.

Now here is my problem. System restore only backed up about 4 days. I have had Word Document files and Notepad files sitting on my desktop as shortcuts dating back at least 6 months or so.Programs like iTunes and Skype are on my desktop, but they are newer than some of the word documents. After system restore, Skype (and other programs) had stayed on my desktop, but all my word documents and notes are gone? I found some of them under "recent items" In the start menu, but the location says it is in my desktop.

Am i right to be suspicious about the trojan still being here or am i just paranoid?
I'm very sorry if this is a stupid question, thanks for your time and patience :)

Edited by hamluis, 16 November 2011 - 10:11 AM.
OP reposted in AII, closing topic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:30 AM

If you want to be certain about any probable infections, please post in the Am I Infected section of BC. In the event you are returned clean and still have certain problems, please post back here for other concerns. System restore with any infection found is not recommended.

Edited by hamluis, 16 November 2011 - 10:15 AM.
PM sent re report procedure.

Tekken

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

OP reposted in Am I Infected.

To prevent possible confusion, this topic is closed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users