Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unsure of what just happened.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JDMThoughts

JDMThoughts

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:02 PM

So this is the 2nd laptop I have gotten in the last couple months. I use it primarily for school and car stuff. I was looking at pics of cars and saving the images to use on my revolving background. Then I got hit with the AV 2012 non-sense. I am unsure of how this came up. I have my firewall up and working. I have Avast up and running and always updated. I also have MBAM as well. My computer was acting up, but I was able to do an Avast scan which came up empty. The MBAM found 2 threats and removed them. I then ran the Avast boot scan and came up with nothing. I am praying for the moment that everything is good. Computer seems to be running fine. Is there a better firewall to use, or something, I just want this to stop happening, this AV guard destroyed my PC and 1st laptop. I have asked others who frequent the same forums and they have never had the problem. Is something wrong with my settings?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JDMThoughts

JDMThoughts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:27 AM

Right now the same thing is happened. I was on cars.com and a little dumb pop up came up and I x'ed it out, then this damn AV 2012 came up. I have MBAM running and it has already found 5 objects.Why the hell isn't Avast doing anything? This is really getting to become frustrating, since I can't figure out where this crap keeps coming from.

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:30 AM

If you used the x in the popup, it may have triggered the infection. In the future, use the task bar to right click and close it. You should also go to Am I Infected to make sure you're clean. And use common sense. If this site is infecting you on a regular basis, stop going there. No anti virus can protect you from poor surfing habits.

#4 JDMThoughts

JDMThoughts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:55 AM

The site is a site I have used for years. Never had an issue till these last two months. It's also not the only site I go to either. I have friends who frequent this site as well and they have never had this issue. Trust me, If I knew where this was coming from I wouldn't go there. When I boot the computer, my Norton's comes up saying that the computer hasn't activated it and I am at risk. I don't plan on using Nortons anytime soon. Then little popups in the corner come up saying smartwall has been disabled and the adware has been out of date. Those are just those things that nortons provides. I am using Avast, MBAM, and SAS so I think I have the basics covered do far. Again, the laptop seems to be running fine now after that crap that happened last night, but I don't want to be doing this every couple days.

#5 lti

lti

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:19 AM

You should uninstall Norton if you are using Avast.

Most infections come from advertisements, but you can still get an infection from a compromised Web page. I got Adware.CNNIC on my computer a few weeks ago from a local radio station's Web site. I was using Firefox with AdBlock Plus and NoScript at the time.

#6 JDMThoughts

JDMThoughts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:36 AM

Nortons wasn't installed, it has the shortcut to it, where the software can be installed for a trial. I haven't used it however, so it;s actually not being run on my computer.

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

The site is a site I have used for years. Never had an issue till these last two months. It's also not the only site I go to either. I have friends who frequent this site as well and they have never had this issue. Trust me, If I knew where this was coming from I wouldn't go there. When I boot the computer, my Norton's comes up saying that the computer hasn't activated it and I am at risk. I don't plan on using Nortons anytime soon. Then little popups in the corner come up saying smartwall has been disabled and the adware has been out of date. Those are just those things that nortons provides. I am using Avast, MBAM, and SAS so I think I have the basics covered do far. Again, the laptop seems to be running fine now after that crap that happened last night, but I don't want to be doing this every couple days.

So you're infected by a bad ad. You need to contact the website and tell them. They probably don't know because the ads are placed by an outside company. This is not as unusual as you think. You can go to a legit website and if the ad server has a malicious ad, you will get infected. It's not something you will be able to predict or prevent because not all popup ads are malicious. Make sure you close the popup using the task bar.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:34 PM

Nortons wasn't installed, it has the shortcut to it, where the software can be installed for a trial. I haven't used it however, so it;s actually not being run on my computer.

You should still be able to uninstall Norton, even if it was pre-loaded for use on a trial basis. Uninstalling it would get rid of the message it is giving you.

#9 JDMThoughts

JDMThoughts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:51 PM

I know I could do that, it really isn't bothering all that much, but this damn thing that keeps getting through is bothering me.

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:12 AM

Of course you understand that users come here all the time looking for foolproof virus protection. Nothing is foolproof. You are mistaken if you think that switching from Avast to something else will make any difference. There is always the possibility that something will get through regardless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users