Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 upgrade 64bit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 macdadluke23

macdadluke23

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

I have windows vista 32 bit home premium and i recently purchased windows 7 home premium which comes with the 32 bit and 64 bit upgrade, my question is can i upgrade vista 32 bit to windows 7 64 bit or do i need to get the full version of windows 7. I was told you cannot upgrade from 32 bit to a 64 bit operating system, it need to be a clean/full version of windows 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:12 PM

Hi macdadluke -
Please read all the steps in This Microsoft Guide on upgrades for Vista.
You do not note if you wish to do a Full Windows 7 install, or just an upgrade from Vista. A full install is usually better if you can save your data.
This following quote is from Step 1 of the instructions.
32-bit or 64-bit: Which version of Windows 7 to install?
If you're running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista, you can only upgrade to a 32-bit version of Windows 7. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, you can only upgrade to a 64-bit version of Windows 7. Otherwise, you'll need to use the Custom option to install Windows 7.

Thank You -

#3 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:44 PM

So I can go to windows vista 32bit to windows 7 64bit but the only thing is i have to do a clean install and lose my files which i am fine with.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:01 AM

can i upgrade vista 32 bit to windows 7 64 bit or do i need to get the full version of windows 7.

No. If you are currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 32-bit version of Windows. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 64-bit version of Windows.

If you want to move from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows Vista or vice versa, you'll need to back up your files and then choose the Custom option during Windows Vista installation. Then, you'll need to restore your files and reinstall your programs.

More from this link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions
If your computer hardware is capable of running a 64 bit Windows 7 and drivers available, then you will need a Windows 7 64 bit disc. But I would check online for the manual and support of your computer about this before proceeding.

Tekken

#5 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:13 PM

I have both the 32bit and 64 bit uograde dvd and I know I cannot upgrade to a 32bit to a 64 bit operationg system but what I am asking if I can do a clean/full installation of the 64bit operationg system (not an upgrade from vista 32bit)and be able to run windows 7 64bit without buying the full version of windows 7 64bit instead can I use the upgrade dvd

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:51 AM

Please read this link below FULLY - It will show the only way you can install 64bit on a previous 32bit system.
What if I can't choose the Upgrade option? Then read this option FULLY -
Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (custom installation).
32-bit or 64-bit: Which version of Windows 7 to install?
If you're running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista, you can only upgrade to a 32-bit version of Windows 7.
Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, you can only upgrade to a 64-bit version of Windows 7.
Otherwise, you'll need to use the Custom option to install Windows 7.

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users