Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Automatic Updates

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bloodaxe

bloodaxe

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:30 AM

My machine is six months old and, as far as I am aware I have never received software updates.
I have spent hours taking, (and paying for) DELL support which has proved fruitless. Microsoft wont help as they say it is the suppliers problem. The error message says XP(KB898461)failed. In the past while attempting to work through it with Microsoft on line instruction I got the error message 0x800CCC0F. Is this any help? Do I need to be troubled about the updates. I got the machine from DELL and I got the impression that the help was reading instructions from a screen.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:52 PM

The 0x800CCC0F error message refers to a lost or blocked connection.

How are you connecting to the Internet? Do you have this problem at other sites or with your e-mail? If so the problem may be in your Internet connection settings.

The other possibility is firewall related, if so it might have been accidently set to block the site.

I realize that these are simplistic suggestions and surely Dell suggested them, but maybe not.

#3 bloodaxe

bloodaxe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:03 AM

Hello Franktiii, Thanks for the response.
Everything else works fine. I have tried disabliing the firewall with no improvement.
I use IE to connect to the internet and dont have any password complications as the machine can only be used by me. It beats me (and Dell)

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:26 AM

In this article from MS it suggesses that it could be a firmware issue with a router. Does your router appear in the ones describe in the article? If you have a router have you attempted to download a firmware update?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;813514
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 bloodaxe

bloodaxe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:11 AM

Thanks for the help. Dell have got back to me and we have managed to get Microsoft updates manually. Hooray!

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:13 AM

Excellent. May be with the updates it will work correctly now. Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users