Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connection problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 decemberist

decemberist

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

Hi,

Recently I moved into a new flat and I experience some serious problems with wifi connection. Obsiously, I manage to connect from time to time but the connection is very unstable and I never know when it cuts again. Most of the time I get messages like "limited connectivity" or "unidenified network". As I have never experienced such problems (and in the past 6 months I have lived in 3 different households) I thought it's a modem problem (I'm sharing the house with some other people and it worked for them though) but my landlord has got a new modem from their internet provider and it works all rights for other tenants except for me. The problem must be my laptop then. All I did so far was to disable the "internet protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6" as I read somewhere it might be the problem. I also realised that when I go to device manager there are no network adapters listed, maybe this is a problem? I'm using Vista Home Premium and Lenovo Y530 laptop.
I will be very very grateful for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

Hello, and welcome to Bleeping Computer. First thing to do is to re enable (TCP/IPv6 , then hard wire to the router, use the password given by who ever set this up for everyone and attempt to configure your network setting by going to control panel and opening up the Network and Sharing and on the left side select Connect to a Network. If you are unable , there are some troubleshooting sections in there to use. Post back results and we can do something else if you are unable to connect to a network from this.

Please use restore points often

#3 decemberist

decemberist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:10 PM

Hello,

basically I can connect to the network but the problem is that the connection is very very unstable. it still keeps cuting off and when it does so I noticed that it automatcally tries to identify the network (that's the most common problem- it stops working when it tries to identify the network), then connects but with limited connectivity and sometimes also searches for an IP address and then it's OK again for shorter or longer while :((

#4 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

Well, possible your network card has faulty driver. Get free home version of latest version http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download and this will tell you who manufactures your network card, Go to that site and get latest drivers and install . Once done, restart computer and see if this fixes that issue. Post back results please.
Another way to get this driver is from your computer manufacture.

#5 decemberist

decemberist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:42 PM

Well then it seems all the drivers installed on my computer are up to date :/

It realy starts to irritate me. Even when it says the connection is good the internet goes on and off and the web sites open like I was about to lose connection anytime again.

#6 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

Hello again, the location of the router you are accessing for internet use can be an issue also, If it is higher up . say the attic, then the access could be made better. Best bet might be to discuss the location of the router being used or maybe setting up another one in another location and use an Access Point type connection.
If your drivers are good, then your other option is to download new drivers first, then uninstall the others and then reinstall the newer ones or a new reinstall of what ever the latest ones are. You need them to be located on computer in a saved Folder location to have access to them . Post back results of your actions please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users