Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Silverlight on Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 The Pugilist

The Pugilist

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

So in my time using linux, one thing that bothered me is the fact that I could not find a way to watch netflix and other sites which utilize Microsoft's Silverlight player. While this plugin does not support netflix (due to problems with DRM) it does support other silverlight based video. Perhaps this is old news but as I am excited about it I decided to make this informational post. The player is called "moonlight" and is available for both 32 and 64 bit versions of linux. After installing it on my computer (ubuntu 11.10 x64) I was able to watch silverlight content on both Firefox (7.0) and chromium (14.0.835.202).

Without further adue, the addon can be obtained from the developers site here: http://go-mono.com/moonlight/

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Edited by The Pugilist, 15 November 2011 - 12:18 PM.

//Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:52 PM

Yep, I discovered this a while back when I started getting into Linux more, but sadly (as you mentioned), Netflix streaming still doesn't work on Linux.

So how you liking Ubuntu 11.10? I tried it in a virtual machine, but I just don't dig Unity.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 The Pugilist

The Pugilist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:17 PM

Yeah, it is unfortunate that netflix is unsupported. As a computer repair tech I've been looking installing ubuntu for some of our customers (perhaps those who are more virus prone due to certain online activities :whistle:) and this issue is one of the few things that ubuntu does not do which your average user might expect out of their computer.

In any case with regards to ubuntu 11.10 it has worked fairly well for me. I had some issues here and there after the upgrade but nothing major. While I do think the new interface is a bit more clunky than its predecessor I have become accustomed to it. The launcher bar on the side holds all the programs which I need to have one click away and the search window pulls everything else up pretty quickly as well. I also run a small headless web server that is running 11.10 (server) which has been great for me as well. The only thing that has not worked perfectly (oddly enough) was the upgrade itself. All in all, imho... the new unity just isn't that bad after all :P
//Dave

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:17 PM

Install Virtualbox, install Windows in it, and stream Netflix. I don't do it, but I have. It works fine.

I'd probably continue doing that if I really needed Netflix on a computer. It already works on my Android phone and tablet, though, so I'm already covered if I need it while moving around.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,597 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

Guys, I am having an issue installing this also...I need it to get to my paycheck infromation.  This is as far as I got.

http://mono-project.com/DistroPackages/Ubuntu#Mono_for_Ubuntu

I don't understand how to move forward from here.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 Kaosu

Kaosu

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:17 PM

Guys, I am having an issue installing this also...I need it to get to my paycheck infromation.  This is as far as I got.

http://mono-project.com/DistroPackages/Ubuntu#Mono_for_Ubuntu

I don't understand how to move forward from here.

Mono is not the same thing as Moonlight. You're trying to download an open-source platform implementation of .NET, which isn't what you're looking for. Moonlight's homepage can be found at http://mono-project.com/Moonlight, but there are no downloads available from the mono-project. Even if you get Moonlight working, it won't work with 99.9% of sites that require Silverlight. Moonlight only has support for Silverlight3 functions, while the current version is Silverlight5.

Your two options are Pipelight or Virtualbox to solve this issue.

Pipelight Information:  http://pipelight.net/cms/about.html

Pipelight Installation: http://pipelight.net/cms/installation.html

P.S. In the future, don't necro really old threads like this.

Edited by Kaosu, 25 July 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,597 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

Kaosu, got it thank you, no reported issues with the site I'm using it with.  Thanks, now I won't have to go into XP.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users