Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mouse double-clicking when I single-click (left and right clicking)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ecc72

ecc72

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:31 AM

Since the day before yesterday, I have been having a problem where my mouse double-clicks when I single-click. This happens sometimes when I open a program (I ended up opening a Firefox window with a session restore that I wanted as well as a second blank window. I didn't minimize the session restore one, so when I clicked the X on the blank window it closed both and I lost the session restore links since it closed both windows). When I right click to open a link in another tab, it sometimes opens the site in two tabs. When I click on the google window or the address window, all of the text is highlighted for replacement as if I clicked on the text twice.

I've only noticed this in XP, although I have only done a little work in Word over the last couple days.

I've looked in google and found a couple links that say it is a hardware related program (the mouse is a Logitech MX110 and I can't find it listed at their site for a driver). That is possible, but it has been very sudden AND it seemed to start after XP's latest auto-update (I really should update my OS to one of the professional ones because I've been complaining for years about XP Home's auto-update and reboot).

Is it possible that the latest XP update could have done something to the mouse driver? I should add that I think I'm still using the old Intelipoint driver with the Logitech mouse because I heard that the Logitech drivers were buggy.

Should I try updating the Intellipoint driver or is there a driver for Logitech that includes MX110 (even though it is not listed at Logitech's site)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:58 AM

It is likely a problem with the mouse itself. I have experienced the same issue and there are numerous reports of this problem ... and I include a link to one of them for your interest and amusement:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic360903.html

The problematic behaviour may come and go: In my own case, my problematic Logitech mouse has been behaving itself recently. I have not been able to find any reason for the variation in its behaviour from time to time. When it plays up, I simply resort to using another mouse for awhile.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 ecc72

ecc72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:18 AM

Well, the right-clicking opening up two tabs seems to have stopped (I clicked on "restore all defaults" in the control panel's mouse window, but I don't think that's the reason), but the highlighting entire lines to text with a single click is still there (although strangely, it only happens in the Firefox address bar and search windows at the top and not in this text box). I'll look at those links now.

EDIT: my mistake. It is the M 110, not MX 110 (there is no such thing as the MX 110). I'll look it up at Logitech again.

I'll probably look for a new mouse tomorrow (the Logitech one was $15 last time - and it replaced the mouse that came with the Microsoft keyboard - which I still sometimes have to unplug/plug the USB port for it to be recognized after the computer boots up), but how is Logitech's Setpoint driver? And should I uninstall Intellipoint after installing the Logitech one?

Edited by ecc72, 15 November 2011 - 06:30 AM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:50 AM

Hi -
I just scanned a few sites and prices range from US $13 to $16 -
They seem to be a quick replace item. Just make sure it works when you first set it up.

>> It is the M 110, not MX 110 << That is why my search showed up MX1100 version.(cordless version)
>>should I uninstall Intellipoint after installing the Logitech one? << It should just install over the old one - -

#5 ecc72

ecc72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:32 AM

Hi -
I just scanned a few sites and prices range from US $13 to $16 -
They seem to be a quick replace item. Just make sure it works when you first set it up.

>> It is the M 110, not MX 110 << That is why my search showed up MX1100 version.(cordless version)
>>should I uninstall Intellipoint after installing the Logitech one? << It should just install over the old one - -

Yeah, I'll have to just get a new one. The double-clicking thing was annoying enough, but I had to crop and resize some photos in Paint.NET and I kept losing the crop outline as I was dragging it across the photos while holding down the mouse button.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users