Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Windows folders

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Karnage219

Karnage219

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:03 AM

OK so recently my computer messed up and i needed to reformat it(well that was the easiest thing to do) When I first started the re-format process, halfway thru it there was a power blackout, the system corupted and i started the process again. Now it asks which operating system i want to boot.
Windows XP Professional
or
Windows XP Professional
both labeled the same but one is corrupted one is not. But the main issue is that i now have a several new folders.
WINDOWS
WINDOWS.0
WINDOWS.1
WINDOWS.2
Now the hard drive on this computer is small, and all of these extra windows folders are taking up valuable space that i need. Can anybody please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:05 AM

The best thing to do would be to just reformat it again

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

FWIW: Every attempt made to install Windows...should result in a new boot entry. Every partially successful attempt to install where there is an existing install...may result in duplicate Windows folders.

I agree that the simplest solution would be to just delete all existing partitions...format/install again.

But it's not the only way to correct this.

You could boot into the install which you want to keep...and do two things:

a. Delete all other Windows folders, taking care that you choose the right ones.

b. Modify the boot.ini file via Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm . There are other ways to do this but they are more laborious, IMO.

Louis

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:17 AM

It looks less like a format and clean install than multiple installations. You need to start from scratch. BOOT to the XP CD, delete the system partition, recreate it, format, install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users