Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

white lines across monitor, possible graphics card issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 girlgoessolo

girlgoessolo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

Last night while using my laptop, the screen froze suddenly. Thin, pixelated, horizontal white lines appeared across the screen also. I let it sit for awhile, hoping that it would unfreeze, but the screen slowly became whiter and whiter as it sat there.

I had no choice but to turn it off, and when I powered it back on, nothing appeared on the screen. I could hear the fan and CPU running normally as it started up, and the backlighting on the monitor came on, but the screen stayed black.

I powered down, and tried it again this morning after giving it about 12 hours rest. It powered up normally, the screen displayed normally, and I thought my troubles were over until the white lines appeared again after just a few minutes.

I am trying to figure out what the root of this problem is. I just don't know where to begin. Does anyone have any ideas?

My laptop is an HP DV6700. It is beyond it's warranty, so unfortunately HP tech support cannot help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 girlgoessolo

girlgoessolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:08 PM

I forgot to mention: I am running Windows Vista.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:15 AM

I would see if same problem exists with laptop output to external monitor.

Louis

#4 girlgoessolo

girlgoessolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:49 AM

Thank you Louis,

It turned out that my computer must have just suffered a really bad crash. I'm still not entirely sure what happened, but a friend of mine was able to get it working again. And that gave me the chance to backup my hard drive, so if it happens again, at least I've got all my stuff off it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users