Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is my internet SO slow?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OhSht

OhSht

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

I do not know exactly what I am paying for but it is much more than this. Does my wireless have some sort of virus in it?
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1592330056.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

Is this all the time, off and on, did it just start happening recently?

A lot of factors can interfere with speed.

What antivirus and firewall are you using?

Do you have the Comcast toolbar installed on your computer? IF YOU DO uninstall it. It's flaky and one of the things it can do is cause a system slow down.

What is the make/model of your modem? If it is end-of-life it could cause problems.

You mention wireless-have you connected your computer directly to the modem to see if you get faster speeds? The possibility exists that your router may be at the end of its useful life.

If it just started there could be issues with Comcast in your area.

And of course infection can also cause a system to run slow.

Have you scanned with your antivirus and/or a program such as Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware?

You can also post at the Comcast help forums. The connection experts will help you.

This is my canned speech for Comcast:

I suggest you post in the Comcast Help Forums. If nothing else, your issue can be escalated to the forum administrator who can set the wheels in motion for a resolution.

Those Forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are Forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, CDV, billing, and customer service.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below. The forum landing page will open. Click Sign In. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the Forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken back to the landing page. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR COMCAST EMAIL NAME FOR YOUR FORUM USER NAME.

http://forums.comcast.com/

Before posting, take a moment to read the Posting Guidelines. The link is on the top right hand side of the page.

Then choose the appropriate board to post in.

One thing to be aware of: By default you will be notified via email every time someone replies to a topic you have started or replied in. If you do not wish to receive the notifications you can disable them by clicking My Settings/Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab. Uncheck the box next to Automatically subscribe me to topics I participate in. Scroll down and click Save.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites/bookmarks. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

If you do want to post in the CHF and are a first time user, just a heads up on something. You might want to choose a different user name because I have no doubt someone will report it as "inappropriate and it doesn't take a genius to figure out what it could be if a certain vowel was in it".

Also, read these in Connectivity and Modem Help:

Troubleshooting Suggestions for Connection-Related Issues

Information Required for Connection-related Posts

Include the information in your post.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 November 2011 - 07:21 PM.

#3 OhSht

OhSht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:33 PM

This is all of the time. Download and upload speed are just awful. Usually ping is 12 idk what happened there.

I do not think this has anything to do with firewall/anti virus because it is slow like this on every computer and device like this in my house.

Do not have comcast toolbar

I have a netgear router. I think it is a year old...

Speeds when I am not using wifi are better but not much

Should I just try and use the Comcast forums?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:49 PM

It won't hurt to post the requested information for the Comcast connection experts to look at.

They are really good at what they do.

Please be very detailed when posting. Let them know all your systems are affected.

If you have any questions about the CHF send me a pm here or there. My CHF name is the same one I use here.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 November 2011 - 07:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users