Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP SP3 Installation Caused a Disk Read Error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ButterflyJ

ButterflyJ

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

Hi,

I have an IBM Thinkpad R40 laptop, type 2368. I tried installing SP3 on it, but during one of the reboots, I got a black Disk Read Error screen and it wouldn't load Windows. In case it's of any relevance, I have SP2 installed on it already, but not sure if I might have deleted SP1 when trying to free up disk space in the past.

I tried setting my BIOS to the default values (suggested to me on a different website's forum) but it lead to an 1802 error (unauthorized network card installed, remove wireless card and reboot).

I would really appreciate any helpful info I could get.

Thanks,
Julia

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:58 PM

As a start, http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/diagnose-and-fix/diagnose-by-symptom/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-4YQLGR .

Louis

#3 ButterflyJ

ButterflyJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for responding so quickly.

On step 1.d.2, it says to confirm that the Drive ID appears normal (example IC25T060ATCS05-0).

Mine says WDC WD800BEVE-00UYT0-(PM). Is that normal?

After repositioning the "+Hard Drive" to the top of the list of the boot order, then saving and rebooting, it says that if BIOS still doesn't recognize the hard drive (which it didn't), then to reseat the drive. I figured it might be good to stop and check in to see if you think my drive number appears normal first.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

Mine says WDC WD800BEVE-00UYT0-(PM). Is that normal?

Yes, that is recognising the hard drive correctly. Carry on.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:59 PM

<<Mine says WDC WD800BEVE-00UYT0-(PM). Is that normal?>>

Yes :). WDC indicates that Western Digital Corp is the manufacturer...the remainder is the model number.

An easy way of verifying such things (or checking them out) is to use Google.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users