Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New laptop, win 7

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rikkidegraz

rikkidegraz

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:52 AM

Recently bought a new Toshiba laptop. With it came Win 7. My previous operating system was XP. I had backed everything up on an external hard drive so that went well, I think. However, I've run into several glitches. First of all, why is it that the old My Documents folder is in the Documents library and also in My Music? I attempted to delete the Documents folder from the My Music folder. Turns out, both locations were deleted. Luckily, I still had my information on the external hard drive.

Secondly, I have Office 2007 and the program I absolutely cannot do without is Outlook especially Contacts because I am a head-hunter and that is where I keep all my information on candidates and clients as well as everything else. Every time I enter a new candidate I also link to his resume. To do this I use Insert/Hyperlink and navigate to the Resume folder and link to his folder. That makes it easy for me to just click on the link and get to his folder right away. Same with clients. But since upgrading I can't do that. When I click on the hyperlink, I get a window to say it cannot find the file and to verify the path. I am able to make a new hyperlink but why didn't the old one work?

So I was wondering if it's because the resume and folders were exported to the external hard drive and this was the path>: C:\Documents and Settings\.....\My Documents\Business Backup\...........\Resumes(or Clients)\......

But when importing into the new computer, there is no My Documents folder, only Documents. I don't know. It's just when I try to click on the link, I get an error saying it can't find the above path.

So, when I start over by deleting the old link and navigate to the candidate's or client's folder, the address reads: C:\Users\.......\Music\Documents\Business Backup\.......\Resumes(or Clients)\....

That just doesn't make sense. Why is it in the Music folder.

Edited by rikkidegraz, 15 November 2011 - 08:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users