Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generic WiŁ2 Server proble,m related to ntdll.dll

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 faygord

faygord

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:29 AM

I recently cloned the drive I run WINXP pro from and attempted to create a new instance on a new SATA drive.

Ever since I receive the Genereric WIN32 srv encountered..error when I boot form the ORIGINAL partition which I presume is unchanged. Or should be.

The expansion of the error refers to ntdll.dll as the file associated with the srvhost instance.

Any ideas what's casuing this? {Xp totally up-to-date and AVG detects nothing.

Thanld,

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:18 PM

Let's see if I understand.

You cloned a hard drive/partition.

Did the cloned drive/partition boot properly when it is the only drive connected?

The original drive no longer boots into Windows.

Are the two partitions on the same drive? Different drives?

What software was used to clone?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 faygord

faygord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:40 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding.

1. My PC has 4 physical hard drives, two IDE and two SATA.
2. IDE1 [disk 0] has FAT partition and two other NTFS partitions. The FAT partition is the System partition but does NOT have an OS installed. Drive letters are C,D,E
3. IDE2 [disk 1] has a single NTFS partition containing XP PRO. Drive letter is D
3. sata1 [disk 2}has a single partition used for data etc Drive letter is K
4. sata2 [disk 4] has three partitions, one containing the cloned disk1, another on which I plan to install windows7 and a third for data. Drive letters are F, J and L. F seems to have been assigned by Windows.
5 There is a boot.ini on Drive C:
[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="G: Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(3)partition(1)\WINNT="F: Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

6. I used Norton Ghost 15 to clone G: and restored to the first partition on the new SATA drive now labelled F:
7. If I try to use that option at boot I get "can't find HAL.DLL" which I think means that the rdisk setting is probably wrong. It worked once as I recall but then the drive letter changed.
8. I want to get rid of IDE1 because it is generating errors but don't know how to create a new system drive.
9 If I set the new SATA drive as the boot drive in CMOS I see a boot.ini related error which I guess is caused by C: being the system drive and there being no appropriate system files on the new drive.

As an added concern since carrying out the clone I get the Genereric WIN32 server error which on expansion telss me there is some sort of problem with ntdll.dll. I suspected that Norton may have installed stuff that was causing that error [the only thing that changed] and have removed Ghost [with some difficulty!], Live Update and stopped any Symantec related services I can find.

My goal is to have just the two SATA drives running qith a dual boot XP Pro and Win7 32 bit running.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

#4 faygord

faygord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:48 AM

The system is a hybrid I built using an ASUS PSGC MX333 motherbooard:
Here is the Belarc analysis of the machine:

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600) Enclosure Type: Desktop
1.87 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5GC-MX/1333 Rev x.xx
Bus Clock: 333 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0312 01/30/2008
Drives
1623.28 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
1196.16 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

IC35L060AVV207-0 [Hard drive] (61.49 GB) -- drive 0, s/n VNVB05G2RUMAMH, rev V22OA63A, SMART Status: Healthy
IC35L060AVV207-0 [Hard drive] (61.49 GB) -- drive 1, s/n VNVB03G2CL98BV, rev V22OA66A, SMART Status: Healthy
ST1000DL002-9TT153 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 3
ST3500320AS [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 2
2048 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM1' has 2048 MB
Local Drive Volumes

c: (FAT on drive 0) 2.15 GB 1.98 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 0) 29.36 GB 20.63 GB free
e: (NTFS on drive 0) 29.98 GB 16.55 GB free

f: (NTFS on drive 3) 209.71 GB 158.12 GB free
g: (NTFS on drive 1) 61.48 GB 10.97 GB free
j: (NTFS on drive 3) 209.71 GB 209.63 GB free
k: (NTFS on drive 2) 500.11 GB 234.56 GB free
l: (NTFS on drive 3) 580.78 GB 543.72 GB free

#5 faygord

faygord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:00 AM

The detail of the Genereric WIN32 error is:

szAppName : svchost.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.5512 szModName : ntdll.dll
szModVer : 5.1.2600.6055 offset : 0000100b

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:52 AM

<<Did the cloned drive/partition boot properly when it is the only drive connected?>>

Can you answer this, please?

Before trying to boot with multiple drives...it seems wiser to try the single cloned drive...reduces the clutter when trying to troubleshoot. I would temporarily detach all other hard drives.

If the cloned drive by itself...cannot boot...then I would go into the BIOS and ensure that it reflects "IDE emulation" for SATA drives...and that the proper drive is reflected as the first/only boot hard drive.

Louis

#7 faygord

faygord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:15 AM

I understand..SATA drives are set up as IDE emulators.
I Haven't tried a boot with only the single drive connected because its a clone of G: which has no system files [they are on C as the residue of the old dual boot setup]
I didn't think it would work. Am I right or wrong?
Also worried that booting with only one drive may force a remap of drive letters which could confuse the existing working system when I reconnect all the drives..
Can you confirm what the boot.ini settings should be for drive F. I can then try booting as a dual boot to prove the install
As I said, when I use BIOS to set the boot device to the new drive I get an error although of course drive c: [system] is still active.

cheers,

John

#8 faygord

faygord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:40 AM

Update:

I can boot from F:\ using the boot.ini dual boot. As I suspected, when Windows re-mapped the drive letters it meant the boot.ini was wrong.
msconfig found the error and I corrected the drive number from 3 to 2.

I haven't tried switch the drives off and testing the boot for reasons stated in earlier posts.

Which files/folders are essential to make F: the system drive or is this even possible?

thanks,

John

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:21 PM

Please post a screenshot from Disk Management.

Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter to get there.

Louis

#10 faygord

faygord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:50 AM

The plot thickens!

I successfully installed Windows7 Ultimate on the second partition of F: drive as planned.
It works and I can select the 'previous version' which then offers me a choice of the two versions of XP pro thatare still alive on Drive G: and 1st partition of F:

I now have TWO drive mappings and attach screen shots.
When booting to Windows 7 the old Drive C: FAT partition is visible in disc manager but has no drive letter. I presume this is because it is FAT and only kept alive for the XP boot.

When booted to WIN7 drives and partitions have been mapped as follows:
original new
D F
E G
G D
K K
F [XP2] E
I [WIN7] C
J H

Under XP2:
C: [IDE 0 FAT partition 1]
D: [IDE 0 NTFS partition 2]
E: [IDE 0 NTFS partition 3]
F: [SATA drive 1 partition 1 XP2 partition]
G: [IDE 1 original Xp drive]
K: {SATA drive 1 single partition
I: [SATA drive 2 partition 2 WIN7]
J: [SATA drive 2 partition 3 Data]

IE 0 [the XP drive C: D: E:] is showing signs of failure and I need to get rid of it ASAP: Bad Sectors and damage to MFT on the D: partition.

Any ideas?

Thanks

John
Attached File  diskmonXP.png   23.07KB   3 downloads
Attached File  disknonW7.PNG   105.84KB   3 downloads

Edited by faygord, 19 November 2011 - 12:02 PM.

#11 faygord

faygord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:53 AM

any answer?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:14 AM

Ever since I receive the Genereric WIN32 srv encountered..error when I boot form the ORIGINAL partition which I presume is unchanged.>>

Well...I've never seen a system where the boot partition is on one drive...the system files are on another...etc.

My guess...would be nothing more than that.

Essentially...drive letters don't matter...other than for the Windows install booted into. When booted into, it will always be seen as C: and all other drive letters may change.

<<Any ideas?>>

Well, I would start over and do a repair install of XP on a single hard drive connected.

I would then add other drives and installs...as I wished. The drive/partition letters assigned them will be in the order in which they are attched/created. I would be sure to install Win 7 after all XP installs.

Alternatively...I suppose that you could read up on using something like EasyBCD...install it and make it work with your present setup. I don't know if that would alleviate the error message you receive.

What is the exact wording of your error message, please?

If you have a hard drive problem...everything just devolves to random guesswork, IMO. Nothing solves a bad hard drive problem...other than replacing it or not using it, IMO. I suggest that you eliminate that possibility/factor...before trying to sort out what is going on and/or why...that would be my approach.

I would wait and see what others might think/propose :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 November 2011 - 11:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users